Friday, August 12, 2005

On the Outside Looking in...

We all know what happens when we are on the other side of a glass window looking in, right? We get too close to the pane, and it's starts to fog up with each breath. And suddenly, we aren't really seeing things on the other side very clearly at all. We see a somewhat smudged and foggy representation of life on the other side.

Now, I think we are all a bit fascinated with experiences outside of our own. DUH! We're wired for interaction. We are made for relationships--with GOD and with others, and so it shouldn't be a shock to hear that people are interested in people...this is certainly not a new concept.

What does shock me sometimes in talking with my married co-workers is that just as I am intrigued and yes, slightly envious of their marital bliss, they are just as curious and envious about my single life.

As a single person, I know I tend to look at married life longingly and with more than a bit of a rose-colored aura. The truth is that my idea of marriage is over romanticized! It's like an end all to me. Yes, I can see the lack of validity there. I know that is not the way it is, but yet from the outside looking in, it seems like the most important thing, and I wish so much to have "crossed over" to the other side.

On the flip side, my married co-workers remind me of the realities of marriage. They feel cramped some days having to share their space. They tire of having to think of their other half before making dinner plans or wish to be able to be more spontaneous. I see the wistful looks in their eyes after I return from an impromptu weekend trip with friends or recount the holiday parties I've gone to. In fact one of my co-workers recently announced that she likes to "live vicariously through my experiences." Now, I'm not quite sure what to make of that, but it has gotten me thinking.
We're not so different on either side of that glass window. Both sides want what's on the other side. We singles want the sharing and depth of relationship that comes with marriage, while our married counterparts long for the space and freedom of the single lifestyle.

So when it comes right down to it, it's not so bad being right where I am. Sure, I long for more, but then who doesn't?!?! And finding out that I have more in common with people than I think is a good thing! We're not alone...

No comments: