Friday, January 18, 2008

Novel Ideas

My friend Becky and I are often found deep in conversation, and by deep, I don’t necessarily mean that our discussions are exactly penetrating of intellect. We just DEEPLY immerse ourselves in the topic at hand—whether it is philosophy, religion, art, English literature, men, TV shows, movies, etc.

Well, in a recent engrossing exchange over the phone, I came up with the brilliant idea of writing our own Jane Austen type novel using Becky, Sara, Jessica, Kristen and I as the substitute Bennett sisters from Pride and Prejudice. I naturally put us in our particular roles based on our age. This meant that: Kristen would be Jane, I would be Elizabeth (aka Lizzie), Becky would be Mary, Jessica would be Katherine (aka Kitty) and Sara would be Lydia. Without delay, Becky voiced her opinion in the negative.

So, I thought I’d come up with another suggestion and go along with Persuasion’s female characters: Kristen would be Elizabeth, I would be Anne, Becky would be Mary, Jessica would be Henrietta, and Sara would be Louisa. Once again, that idea was quickly rebuffed. In fact, Becky wanted to know how it was that I always got the lead heroine characters, and she was always stuck as Mary. I tried to tell her that it was just luck of being the 2nd eldest, but she didn’t buy that, and so naturally we argued about that for several minutes more. Yes, Becky and I tend to humorously debate on a regular basis. It’s the beauty of our friendship.

Ever since that stimulating conversation, I have been thinking more and more about the idea. I don’t think it would actually be a good idea to base characters purely on people I know. Ironically, I find it much easier with pen in hand to be honest about what I think and feel, and I’m not sure all of my friends would like me to be that blunt in revealing all. I would prefer to retain those friendships I have, thank-you-very-much. Rather, I think it would be wiser to meld characteristics, qualities and perhaps stories from the people I know into my novel. I mean, they say you should write what you know.

Ahhhh...lots to contemplate!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is ironic that you would always cast yourself in the lead role, the role who just happens to be the most brilliant, most insightful, most unlike the silly sisters who are more often than not, ridiculous and flighty. Is that what you really think of your friends? I think they all should know! :)

Melanie said...

WHATEVER! Sis, it was just as luck would have it...nothing more.