Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Consummate Wanderer

I grew up reading novels about how Europe transfixed or mesmerized characters in those books.
I’ve watched films with that same idea that a visit to Europe can make people different afterwards.
And now, I can attest to the power of European travel for my self. 
In 2009, England was perfect bliss. I instantly fell under the spell of the stately country estates with their green, green gardens. It was a dream.
But in 2011, the European continent has gripped me differently. The effects are stronger, more powerful. I’ve been back here in the States for 7 weeks, and yet, that magnetic pull on my heart for regions other than my own is growing rather than diminishing.
I’ve lost my sense of home, and I'm ready to wander some more...

2 comments:

sherylh96 said...

I know exactly what you mean!

Lisa said...

I hear ya, Mel! Maybe one day I'll make it back to Europe. Until then, I will travel vicariously through you. :-)