Wednesday, December 7, 2005

My Own Personal Snow Globe

I’m totally thrilled it’s winter. I don’t enjoy driving in snow or on ice. I can do without that, thank you very much. But I do love the colder temps and seeing my breath when I walk outside. It’s sweater weather, turtleneck season, hot cocoa time. There is something magical about winter. I just caught myself staring out the window here at work, just watching the snowflakes whimsically dance along as they drift downward.

It reminds me of 20 years ago when I loved tramping around outside in the snow and staying outdoors in just about kind of weather. There my sister and I would stay all day when we could. We’d bundle up and go sledding in the ditch. Our ditch was our own private kingdom. It was a small city-owned drainage ditch that ran along our property, and we loved to explore it. There was a creek at the bottom, of course, and so we’d slide down into the ditch and break the ice in the small creek or attempt to cross the icy terrain.

And of course, playing outside is always better when you have a vivid imagination, and the Bradley sisters always had that! One day we’d be Indiana Jones exploring a frozen jungle, and then next day we’d be the next greatest figure skater as we glided along the ice in our moon boots. We’d stay out in the cold until we’d hear “Mel-anie! Barb-bra!” echoing across the neighborhood as my Mom would call us home for dinner from our own back door. That was a bit embarrassing at the time, but it’s a rather fond memory now.

Four years in South Carolina didn’t change this Midwestern girl. I still like having a real winter and enjoying 4 distinct seasons. Yes, as an adult, snow now requires more work, but I am still quite content with winter. And somewhere deep inside me there is still a little girl just dying to head back home to Michigan and go exploring through the snow-covered ditch again.

No comments: