Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'm with you, Jane!

I’m re-reading Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre. I think it’s my favorite novel ever. Well, it’s on my top 5 list anyway. I just love it! There is something simply fascinating about Jane Eyre and her romance with Mr. Edward Fairfax Rochester. Something alluring that pulls me in every time and makes me revel in each delicious page as if it were my first read! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again...Jane Eyre has molded my sense of love and has forever changed the way I view relationships. See one of my first posts: Its just the Mystery that Keeps It Going.

While re-reading my favorite again, I am struck anew with how much I crave to find my own second self like Jane did. I love the fact that Jane’s love for Rochester as well as his love for her is deeper than any mere physical attraction or worldly possessions. They both truly love the other--body, soul and spirit. He doesn’t have to be molded like a Greek Adonis or favored with incredible good looks. Sure attraction is needed, but it’s not always obvious at first glance. He doesn’t have to be wealthy as a king or in a high-end career. It would be enough if he were hard-working. He doesn’t have to be flawless or above reproach. An ability to admit faults is highly regarded in my eyes especially accompanied by openness and honesty.

Jane says: "...it is my spirit that addresses your spirit!"

Rochester says to her: "Your mind is my treasure..."

It is truly inspiring and beautiful! (sigh!)

I’m aching to have that type of a relationship with just one other. And while the years keep coming and going, and I sometimes doubt it myself, there is still part of me that believes GOD created a match for me as well, and that my second self is still out there. Maybe it’s a frivolous hope, but it’s one I keep close by tucked in with my other dreams. Those other dreams that have also been given back to HIM and are just waiting to see what HE plans to do with them...

No comments: