Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mel-icious UP Recap Part 3

Wednesday, September 13: That morning, I caught a funny shot of my Mom blow drying her damp hair while reading her Bible. She’s very economical with her time. This was also the day that my Mom and I finished the puzzle we had started on Saturday.

It was another overcast day, although the rain mostly threatened rather than soaking us as we made our touring stops. That morning, we went to Whitefish Point Lighthouse and walked through the lighthouse keeper’s home and other buildings. We visited the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum with the infamous Edmund Fitzgerald memorial. [My Mom referred to it as the “sinking of the Ella Fitzgerald” once in conversation, and we’ve never let her forget it!]

That afternoon, we drove along the Lake Superior scenic shore and stopped at several beaches for some photos. I did wade in just up to my ankles. It was rather chilly, but you have to wade in the water at least once when you visit. We visited Point Iroquois Lighthouse. The lighthouse itself doesn’t have all that much for tourists to see, but the shoreline there is just beautiful. We continued on our drive along the coast all the way to Sault Ste. Marie. There we hit a Wal-mart so that I could burn CDs of my over 300 digital shots so far. AHEM! Yes, I realize that it sounds a bit obsessive. But my memory cards were full, and the week was only half over!

And then we went to see the Soo Locks. This was probably my most memorable visit to the Soo. Normally, I tolerate a stop there for my Dad’s sake because I don’t find it all that thrilling. Big boats going through small gates! Whoopety-doo! But for some reason on this visit, I finally grasped the engineering genius at work and found it fascinating this time as we watched a Canadian freighter make its way through the locks. Guess, you are never too old to learn new things and gain a new appreciation of something.

Thursday, September 14: We drove to Munising and visited several out-of-the-way waterfalls. My Mom navigated as my Dad drove us into new territory. It was rather adventurous. We opted not to visit one falls because of the large mud puddle covering nearly the entire breadth of the one-lane road. My Dad had me get out and step into the puddle to see how deep it was. RIGHT! I’m going to risk new white tennis shoes. I don’t think so. HA! I barely touched the water and decided against putting my foot in any farther. YUCK! So, we decided that the Laughing Whitefish Falls was not worth the risk of getting our vehicle stuck out in the middle of nowhere. HA!

After visiting several of the waterfalls, we went down by the shore and got our tickets for the evening Pictured Rocks Cruise. I have always wanted to take the cruise, but I had no idea how wonderful it was going to be. It was well worth the $30 cost. I loved the 2 ½ hour adventure out on the water. We had seats inside the boat alongside massive windows, but I kept running to the back of the boat on the outside deck to take photos. I spent the majority of the evening on the back of the boat with the other photographers. It became a joke between my parents and I that the other photographers seemed to follow my lead. When I would head to the back of the ship, they would soon join me. Couldn’t they tell that they were following a complete amateur! HA! But I sure was a photo-freak. I took over 200 shots on that one cruise, but believe me, it was magnificent. I loved the spectacular views of the shoreline, the white sandstone cliffs, the crisp green and blue water, etc. It was highly enjoyable.

Truth is that I enjoyed the boat ride almost near as much as the photographic journey itself. I love being on boats like that. And since I was hanging out on the back of the boat for most of the ride, I had a lot of time breathing in the freshwater air and enjoying the gentle spray of the water, too. It was incredible. I think I was meant to be on the water or something. I’m meant for a life of leisure—you know weekends in Michigan with my Howard out on our small yacht. [You getting this, Howard?] I was joined by a crowd of people on the back of the boat toward the end of the ride while one of the captains tossed bread to the seagulls hovering over head. It was rather fascinating watching those birds dive for a morsel of bread.

And then there was the assistant captain himself, CJ—I think his name was, he was near me at the back of the ride, and I almost think he was flirting with me. At first I ignored him because I assumed that his underhand comments were meant for someone else, but then I realized that he WAS TALKING to me! On the drive back to Paradise that evening, I found out that Mom and Dad had spent the first part of the cruise chatting with CJ. I guess he was extra talkative, and knowing my friendly parents and the fact that they tend to tell perfect strangers things, the guy got my shoe size and my home address, too. HA!

Friday, September 15: This was our lazy, relaxing day. We spent that morning just enjoying the day and free time at the cabin. That afternoon, we drove back along the Curly Lewis Scenic Highway, which is this windy road that runs along Lake Superior. We stopped at several beaches and waded in or skipped rocks along the shore. It was a deliciously pleasant day!

Saturday, September 16: We got an early start that morning toward home. We stopped at a park across from the Mackinac Bridge and took some final photos before heading back across the Lower Peninsula. We got back into Croswell early that afternoon, and then Aunt Peggy and I drove back to Indiana. I was back in my apartment in Indy before midnight that night. AHHHH!!! Nice to be back home in my own bed.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It sounds like you had an amazing time. And I can just hear your mom trying to pronouce that word and then giggling. And the "Ella Fitzgerald" thing in hilarious. Elayne and I went to Mackinac Island a couple of years ago, and I loved it. The bike ride around the island was spectacular. I'm so glad you had a great time.
P.S. We need to get together some time soon!

Anonymous said...

I only made it thru the 1st album so far, but awesome pics. Hate to say this, but really love the pics of Taquamenon Falls, which I've only seen 100 times or so, but I think this is the first time I've seen photos of the Falls in the SUN. Very nice! I love dad's hat on backwards too! Again, jealous here! I haven't been to the Island since 1988...remember that trip? hahahahaha