Friday, February 29, 2008

I Need to Remind Myself...

I’ve caught myself focusing far too much lately on the not so blissful moments of being a singleton--usually when I just need to cuddle and my plants don’t seem interested or when I watch a chic flick and start crying because I suddenly start to feel lonely even though 5 minutes earlier I was thrilled to have no one to fight for the remote with. Now granted, most of these moments are, upon reflection, either during my monthly cycle or around my birthday or Christmas. It seems like those are the occasions where I tend to focus more on what I don’t have.

But today is NOT one of those days. Today I’m just happy. It could have something to do with my copious amounts of ice cream (the Founder’s Favorite at Cold Stone Creamery) after lunch. Yep, I’m feeling pretty good right about now. Or maybe because it’s Friday and sleeping in sounds like a wonderful dream about to come true tomorrow. Or maybe I’m just delighted because it is pay day. But for whatever reason, I’m having a good moment just now, and I’m planning to enjoy it.

I am going to explore Blockbuster on my way home and rent some new DVDs. One perk of being single is that I don’t need to consult a husband or significant other on what to select. My plants don’t seem to have a preference, and they just might enjoy that new vampire movie. I know I’m looking forward to it.

And then as a rather last minute whim, I read about a performance of Verdi’s Requiem for tomorrow evening, and so I emailed Becky, and now we’re planning to catch some dinner and go. I don’t know anything about Verdi or his Requiem, but I’m in the mood for some culture, and FREE culture is always desirable. Truth is that I couldn’t so easily make these last minute adventures if I were married.

Now I’m not sharing these singleton perks to make any of my married friends jealous. I’m really not. I’m posting this so that on one of those blue days when I’m feeling a twinge of sadness about my marital state, I can re-read this post and remember that I don’t have it all that bad. In fact, it’s pretty good...

No comments: