Monday, January 10, 2011

The Brits Do It Again

I had trouble falling asleep last night. I just lay there with a silly grin on my face, my mind a million miles away. I was in love. In love with yet another British series, Downton Abbey. The first episode aired last night on PBS’s Masterpiece Theatre, and I was immediately captivated by the twisting story lines, the 1912-1913 era, the English country house setting, and the riveting characters. It was pure magic.

Now I have confessed more than once that I am a period film junkie, and if it’s British, all the better. Yes, I do have a weakness for all things British, and my travels “across the pond” have done anything but cure me of my obsession. Truly, my affliction is even greater. A film shot using the English landscape now causes me to reminisce and sigh with a near-homesick tingle in my throat. Even if I didn’t visit that house, walk those gardens or photograph those particular sheep, they still seem familiar to me.

Fact is that I’m a lost cause, and this series has left me incorrigible. SIGH! Oh well! This is who I am, and this girl is eagerly anticipating the next installment on Sunday, January 16th and until then will dreamily linger with bated breath...

No comments: