Monday, January 24, 2011

Missing My Peeps

Introverts get fueled or re-charged by spending time alone. That is me to a tee. BUT I’ve got an extroverted side, too, and I’m trying to let my extrovert, social-butterfly-self free a bit more often. Recently I let loose just a bit, and my extroverted side reemerged from her cocoon ready to fly off and socially mingle as much as possible. HA! Apparently, I’ve been holding in my extroverted self far too long.

Last week I attended a new Bible study for singles only, and I really enjoyed it. The Bible study, which is based on The Story (the Bible in a narrative format), seems like it will be interesting. So that’s great.

However, it was there in the midst of the 140+ other area singles that I realized just how much I’ve missed people. All right, so I’ve not exactly been holed up in a cave somewhere. I’ve been going to work, church and family gatherings. I’ve been meeting friends for lunch and dinners. I’ve been social, but something has been missing. I’ve missed that interaction with people with whom I have so much in common, too. You know, others who know what it’s like to be single and approaching 40 or beyond. GULP! I've been out of that mix for a while, and somehow, it was refreshing to jump back in.

That evening, in the span of less than two hours, I got caught up with some old friends – hugs and chatter all around. I also got acquainted with some new friends – people I could identify with, names I am trying to remember, etc. So while I might be an introvert to my very core, I do love people and thoroughly enjoy making new friends, building friendships, connecting one person to another, etc. It was awesome! Got to do more of that!

No comments: