Tuesday, November 16, 2004

I'm not pessimistic...just not as idealistic any more!

I read my first blog and thought...how very pessimistic and cynical of you, Mel! What a dramatic start to your blog! But then I snapped back to reality! The human experience is not all roses just like it's not all dandelions or pussywillows. It's a mixed bouquet of thorns and firs, onions and honeysuckle, skunk cabbages and tulips. And to be honest, I wouldn't want it any other way.

I mean there wouldn't be any cause for emotion or feeling at all if everything were always the same day in and day out, but thankfully no moment is just as the last one. And despite being raised to seek consistency, to be even keeled and to tone down my melancholy--I think that's more than a bit unrealistic. Life isn't really like that. Life isn't calm or mundane or predictable all the time! It's full of surprises--both the good and the bad. There are peaks and valleys to travel, and without those low moments of despair or tragedy, we wouldn't enjoy those memorable delights that still make us smile--whether it's holding your newborn nephew for the first time or savoring the last bite of chocolate.

Life is a marvel!

No comments: