Friday, September 16, 2005

I love being an Aunt...


I really do. Nothing else quite like it! Simply delightful!

I first became an Aunt 1 week shy of my 16th birthday (which means that my sister first became an Aunt at 13). I remember being excited that this tiny little entity would one day call me “Aunt,” but a bit bewildered by it as well. Aunts were supposed to be my parents’ age. They were supposed to be older and have more life experience, weren’t they? All of my Aunts were.

Three nephews and 4 more nieces later, it is still a special thrill to become an Aunt to another small resident of this planet we call home. It happened for the 8th time this week. My sister gave birth to Grace Anna on Tuesday of this week, and it was just as thrilling this time, too!

With each year, it does seem to get more and more certain that I may never have a family of my own. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me from time to time. Sure it does get to me on occasions, but for the most part, I'm good with the status quo. I feel blessed in other ways. I have 5 nieces and 3 nephews to call my own, and for that I am truly grateful. After all, family is what we make it…and I like mine just fine!

No comments: