Friday, September 30, 2005

Parking Space Blues…

I’ve had one of those weeks—one of those maddening, irritating weeks where one thing after another has gone wrong. I’ve wanted to signal for a TIME OUT or request a do-over, but in real life, the PAUSE or REWIND button doesn’t really help, and come to think of it the FAST FORWARD button doesn’t apply either…

One of my sample irritations is my parking space. I pay for a space in the carport at my apartment complex, and for some reason, due to a clerical paperwork error, my spot was given to someone else this week. I didn’t know about it until the office called to verify which spot I parked in. Apparently their records had a discrepancy between the spot I always park in and the spot they thought I parked in. I learned that they had sold my spot to a new resident, who was calling their offices asking for my car to be towed out of “their” spot. So, I was glad that the office called prior to towing away my vehicle. We discussed what had happened, and I felt that we got everything squared away. I would keep my spot same as always, and they would move the new resident into an “actual” vacant space.

However, I came home the next couple of days to find my spot without a vacancy. I called the complex office that first night and left a message that someone was in my spot. No response. When I got to work the next day, I called again and left a second message. No response. I called when I got home from work the next night to report once again that someone else was parked in my spot. I got an actual person this time and was told that I was parking in the wrong spot because they had me in another spot. I wasn’t quite sure how to respond. How could they bump me from my current spot that I had been parking in for 9 months? That didn’t make any sense. And how come none of what we had resolved on Monday was indicated in their records? I checked my lease and called back to argue some more. This time I got voicemail again and so I left a message asking for the manager to call me back and get this resolved.

Well, it’s day 5 in the drama, and I still don’t know which parking space is mine! But for 2 days now I’ve had to defrost my car because my carport space was taken. OK, so it’s not that big of a deal in light of what other people are facing. But this carport space drama—in light of all the other things that have happened this week—this is the final straw. It’s that thing that has put me over the edge!

My recent encounters with my apartment complex staff and with customer service representatives at two of my banks have me spinning my wheels in frustration and wondering whatever happened to customer service in this country! Why is it that after 6 calls to my landlord I still don’t have anything reconciled? Why doesn’t anyone return my calls? Why am I the one having to call again and again and listen to conflicting information every time?

I’m not asking for a lot here, I don't think. I just want communication and a resolution. At this point in time, I’d settle for any carport space. Just tell me where to park and I’ll park there. HA!

There’s a commercial on the air right now that emphasizes the poor customer service with demonstrations of such behavior with a bagger at a grocery putting the gallon of milk on top of the carton of eggs in a bag or the UPS man crushing a package in an elevator door, etc. I found it funny at first and overstated. I was thinking…this would be what it was like IF things had really gotten that bad. However, after my week, I find it rather hopelessly true. (I guess my rose-colored glasses have been smashed!)Gone are the days when the customer is always right! The modern slogan is: The customer? What customer? I don't think we have those!

Ah but today the world is brighter already. It's FRIDAY!!!! WOOHOO!! I’m thrilled to have the weekend to recuperate.

No comments: