Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Princess Diana Celebration 2



This past weekend, I visited the Princess Diana exhibit at the Dayton Art Institute in Ohio with some girlfriends. It was a fabulous adventure!

We first dined at the Café Monet on Diana-inspired cuisine. It was quite tasty. And then it was time to tour the exhibit itself. It was all put together by her younger brother, Charles, the current Earl Spencer of Althorp. Everything (including the gift shop) was put together with high class elegance and charm.

We enjoyed seeing the amusing home footage and mementos of Diana as a child, the sparkling Spencer family jewels and tiaras, Diana’s simply elegant gowns and dresses, and the stirring tribute memorabilia surrounding her death and her humanitarian causes.

But seeing her wedding dress, veil and train in person was the real highlight for me. It was simply breathtakingly beautiful! The dress was gorgeous. It’s not even particularly a style I would choose for myself, but I still found it rather marvelous. I think my excitement came from just seeing the dress in person. It caused me to relive those childhood memories of sharing that moment with my Mom on that Saturday morning long ago as we watched Princess Diana’s wedding to the Prince of Wales from our living room in Michigan. Somehow seeing the dress in person, helped me recapture some of that magic again. (sigh!)

And while Princess Diana’s fairy tale marriage didn’t have a happy ending, I still think every girl dreams of finding her own prince—be he butcher, baker or candlestick maker…he’s still her prince. After all, every girl is a princess!

No comments: