Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Ready to go U.P.

Only 16 days to go before I head on my vacation! I am so ecstatically excited! WOOHOO!! Although, I don’t know who’s brilliant idea it was to schedule my vacation time for the end of summer...I’ve waited in agony since May for September to get here. HA! It’s going to be one crazy busy month though, but I think I’m ready for it.

On Friday, September 8th, my Aunt Peggy and I are riding up to my parents’ home in Croswell, Michigan together. It will be fun to catch up with her. She’s a joy to be around and a lot like my Mom, her sister. Then the next day, my parents and I leave for the U.P., and my Aunt will be staying with my Grandma while we are away for the week. [Thank you, Aunt Peggy, for volunteering to do just that! I hope you and Grandma have fun together!]

I’m thrilled to see the Great Lakes again up close and in person. I’m not a beach bunny by far. I like to swim, but not so much in such cold water, plus Lake Huron where I grew up is rather rocky. You do get used to the rocks after a while, but they are initially harsh on your feet at first. But in the U.P. near where we will be staying in Paradise (ah yes, literally in Paradise, Michigan), Lake Superior is beautiful and sandy. There are miles of remote beaches with very few people, and while I doubt either my parents or myself will be jumping in and swimming, it will be wonderful to just wade in and walk along the water. I can’t wait. There is something tranquil and harmonious about being near water for days on end. (SIGH! I’m at peace even now just pondering it...)

My parents were in charge of finding our accommodations and planning the meals, and I was in charge of coming up with the itinerary. But just last week I determined that we couldn’t possibly do the whole U.P. in a week while renting the same cabin for a week. I never realized how immensely large the U.P. is. It is around 300 miles from the Eastern tip to the Western tip, which is about the same distance from my parents’ house to the Mackinac Bridge in total, and so we have scaled back our plans to the Eastern and more Central areas of the U.P. We’ll have to see the Western side another summer.

We’ll be spending a day on Mackinac Island, visiting several waterfalls including a family favorite (Tahquamenon Falls—the ice tea colored waterfalls), discovering some lighthouses we haven’t toured before (my Mom loves lighthouses), taking the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore cruise (which I am giddy about!), etc. We’ll also just be taking drives along the coast, another favorite adventure I enjoy. There are just miles of water to drive along--simply beautiful. The photo journalist in me is armed and ready!!

I’ve been looking forward to this week for months now. Just me and my parents traveling the U.P. together--it will be fun! Lots of bonding...

No comments: