Sunday, June 28, 2009

Call Me Old-Fashioned...

But some Sundays, I miss hymnals. I really do. Recently, we learned a new song in the morning service. The worship team and praise band sang it through once, and then the congregation joined in. The lyrics were deep and meaningful, and since I'm all about the lyrics, I was excited to learn a new song. There was just one problem: the harmony outweighed the melody, and I struggled to follow.

Now I'm not my sister -- the gifted musician, perfect pitch girl, who hears a song once and can jump onto the piano and play it for you. Yeah, that's not me. AHEM! But, I can read music and do a bit of sight reading. I started out as a soprano with the church solos, spent 10 years or so as an alto, and I think I've finally settled down as a mezzo soprano--able to be either a soprano or an alto. But I definitely need to know the melody before I can get the harmony right. So in this case, since we don't use hymnals any more, I didn't have the music and with the harmony being so dominant, the melody was lost on me. I was a bit sad, and so now, I'm determined to learn the song on my own.

Don't get me wrong here. I love worship songs and choruses. Love them. I enjoy the beautiful nature scenes with the lyrics displayed on the flat-panel screens on the walls. I love the worship band and the praise teams. The whole service is all wonderfully orchestrated and framed together to lead the congregation as a whole into the heart of worship. For instance, today we sang 2 of Lincoln Brewster's songs, and my heart stirred within me as the congregation proclaimed again and again GOD YOU REIGN! I was struck with an overwhelming sense of my own insignificance as we sang about our CREATOR, REDEEMER and SAVIOR. I am deeply touched by music like that. And then we finished out the worship service with a melding of 2 old familiar favorite hymns. I loved that blending of the old and new all in one service. It's a bit like life...

As most of you know, I've grown to really enjoy modern Christian music the past 16 months or so. It took me a while to get there, to embrace the "beat" if you will. I'm still picky about my favorites. I don't always like the trendy tunes, but sometimes I do, and these days I'm not often found without my MP3 player in my possession. It travels with me, ever ready. Whenever I start to feel distressed, down-hearted, bored, lethargic or lonely, I plug in my favorite ear buds (SkullCandy is the best) and within minutes, I can't help but feel my spirit lift. Right now I have a playlist entitled "Mood Changes," which as you can guess is to help me get back to focusing on what is real and true. I listen to those songs that remind me that I am not in this alone, that I have THE GOD of the universe within me, urging me on and beckoning me to trust.

Yes, GOD has really brought me full circle the past few months with my musical choices. HE has opened my ears (as it were) and revealed HIMSELF in contemporary song. I will always love the hymns and choruses I grew up with, but I have a growing passion for the music of my own generation as well. I am blessed with both.

LORD, thank YOU for changing my heart, for broadening my horizons! It really is ALL ABOUT YOU...

No comments: