Saturday, June 27, 2009

Hey, I Was There...

When I was 16, my parents took my sister Barbara and I on a 2-week vacation up through Canada and over to Prince Edward Island. It was a dream vacation for my sister and I. We loved everything about Anne of Green Gables. We had read the books, seen the movies a dozen times or more, and this was an experience of a lifetime. We visited all the Anne sites we could find, strolled along the red cliffs like Anne and Diana, and absorbed the beauty of that magical green island.

Upon our return to the States, we shared photos (evidence) of our adventures and recounted our tales again and again with friends and family. Months after our trip, we had another Anne of Green Gables marathon/slumber party with a bunch of girlfriends. Only this time the viewing was different. Having been to several of the locations where they filmed the movies, I couldn't help myself. I was overtaken with the need to interrupt the movie every few minutes to point out some little-known fact or to comment on the scene.

"Hey, we were there. We really were. See that fishing village. I took pictures of it. Wanna see?"

I was pretty pathetic. I kept interrupting the movie to tell them location details. Yeah! I was THAT person, and I'm sure I was pretty annoying to be around. I can see that now.

Skip ahead almost 20 years...

Six weeks ago, I went to England for 2 weeks on another dream vacation. It was amazing, life-changing and just highly enjoyable, and YES, I will eventually share the "best of" shots rather than bore you with every architectural detail I zoomed in on. AHEM!

Anyway, recently, I sat down and watched the HBO miniseries John Adams. There is a scene where Ambassador Adams goes to pay a diplomatic visit to the current monarch of England, King George III, at St. James's Palace. Sounds innocent enough, right? Well, it would be except for one minute detail. The place they were portraying as St. James's Palace was NOT indeed St. James's Palace. It was quite clearly Hampton Court Palace to this recent visitor, and I knew it. I paused the movie and started arguing with my television set.

"No way. I was there. You can't fool me. That's not St. James's Palace. I know those columns..."

I ranted for a full 30 seconds there and then just started laughing. I'm insufferable. I'm back to that annoying place. I visit a place once, and suddenly I'm a location expert. HA! Luckily, there were no guests over to witness my bout of insanity, but it sure made me laugh.

My friend Becky came over the next day, and I made her watch the same scene, and she, being one of my co-travelers to England, confirmed that the location was DEFINITELY Hampton Court Palace. So I was right, but who the heck cares. HA! It was just a movie... Silly rabbit!

No comments: