Monday, August 2, 2010

The Countdown

We are now at T minus 12 days before my oldest niece gets married at the age of 20. I’m psyched and giddy with excitement for Janet and Chris. It’s really big news for my family since it has been a few years since we have had a wedding to celebrate. It will be like a family reunion of sorts as two lives merge into one. I can’t wait.

However, as the single, never-been-married, never-been-close-to-marriage aunt of the bride, I confess that I have some personal concerns that I feel the need to get off my chest.
  • When you get lapped by the next generation, are you down for the count?
  • Are your chances of matrimonial bliss gone for good?
  • Should you just get 5 house cats and call it a day?
I hope not. I mean, for one, I’m more of a dog person really, and secondly, this “old maid” with romantic inclinations doesn’t want to stop dreaming of the possibility. I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet. In fact, I am currently willing to review any and all applicants and referrals that present themselves as eligible candidates.

My requirements are not too rigid, I don’t think:
  1. Single: I am no home-wrecker, and polygamy doesn’t really appeal to me either. 
  2. Male: Non-negotiable. Sorry, ladies, I’m just not that into you.
  3. Human: I’ve considered the android idea, but I don’t think I’m there yet.
  4. Mortal: Vampires relationships might make for great fiction, but I’d prefer that my spouse and I grow old together. And then there is that whole “will he or won’t he bite me” thing that would nag at my very soul.  
Look at how broad-minded I am. I've left lots of room for potential options. :)

So, yes, it might be a little weird watching my niece get married before me, but, hey, I’ll have a great view of the whole event since I am one of her bridesmaids, which is pretty special. Fact is, I’m one lucky aunt really.

No comments: