Sunday, January 18, 2009

Weekend Update

OK. I'm going to share something here, and I just need you to be happy for me, all right? Just play along. Are you ready?

I got a new microwave yesterday, and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm not quite doing cartwheels across the floor (and since I have never been able to do cartwheels THAT would be quite an amazing feat), but I am pretty psyched about the newest member of my kitchen appliance family. I know, to the casual observer, this might seem a bit trivial or a tad silly for one to get so enthused about the purchase of a new food-heating tool, but it has made me quite happy. [I realize I'm easily amused.]

I've had the same microwave since my first apartment back in Peru, IN. My sister-in-law's mother brought me her spare microwave right after I moved into my first post-college apartment. Believe me, I was grateful for that brown metal box, and it has served me well these past dozen years or more. It has made several big moves with me across the state of Indiana since those humble beginnings in the Circus Capital of the World. Over the years, it has survived in tact with dignity and quality service.

But lately, it's been less than a top performer. About a month ago I started noticing that I was having to heat things up for longer and longer time periods...especially the baked potatoes, and you all know how I feel about my baked potatoes, right? Well, it was taking about 12-15 minutes for one medium-sized potato to get cooked all the way through, and that just didn't seem right.

So on Saturday, I broke down and bought a new microwave, and it has made all the difference. I still am learning all my heating options and reading through the manual. Yes, I'm one of those people. I read manuals. Don't you? The new microwave is pretty much nuclear in comparison to the antique circa 1986 microwave that is no longer with me. [Yes, that is not a typo, I found a 1986 sticker on the bottom of the old model. WOW! I had no idea...]

But lest you think I would so easily toss the old out without so much as a fine farewell, let me assure you that I did take a moment or two of quiet reflection before ceremoniously heaving the ancient relic into the dumpster. There were no tears, no drawn-out speeches, no flowers or lumps of dirt to lay on the grave of the dearly departed. It was just time to say goodbye, and so I did without making too much of a scene.

Then I came back inside out of the cold and promptly heated up a potato for dinner in the new black GE model on my countertop. It only took about 5 minutes, and I had a steaming hot baked potato waiting for a dollop of Daisy. Life is good.

In other news, I bought my luggage for England this weekend as well. I purchased a red set on clearance [WOOHOOO!], and I'm quite happy about it as well. I was glad to find luggage in my price range that was not gray or black. I wanted my new set to stand out a bit, and I think red luggage will do the trick. I opted not to get the black luggage with a skull and crossbones on it. Yes, interestingly enough, they actually had luggage covered with skulls and crossbones. I considered it for about 2 seconds since it was so very unique, but I guess I figured that would be a magnet for undesired attention on my international travels. HA!

OH! OH! And I finally took the Christmas tree down this weekend as well. It was time to pack up the remnants of last season [sigh!], but somehow, I do miss the lights and my snow globes. Although, it is kinda nice having my living room furniture all arranged like before. Ah, but Christmas 2009 will be here before we know it. Only 340 days to go. WOOHOO!!

Yeah, it's been a good weekend. I hope you all had a great weekend, too and are gearing up for another great week. HUGS!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Ha! Now that you have your luggage, you can "sneak" little items into it. You're not really packing, but it will give you the illusion that you are. Yes, I played these mind games with myself when I also got new luggage before heading overseas a few years back (wait...it'll be 8 years ago in June. Wow!)

Melanie said...

That's a good thought, Lisa. Thanks!

Kaleb said...

Do you have any pics of the new luggage?

I'm glad to hear that you no longer have to wait all afternoon to reheat food!

- KC

Melanie said...

I need to take pics of my new luggage. I'll get on that. :)

And yes, I love the speed of MODERN microwaves. The new one is working like a charm...Life is good!