Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Going On A Roadtrip...

This weekend, my Dad and I are taking a father-daughter long weekend excursion to visit his sister, my Aunt Laura, in Tennessee. Neither of us have seen my aunt in about 3 years, and so we are overdue for a visit. She lives near the Smoky Mountains. In fact, if you walk to the top of her street on a clear day, you can see some of the majestic peaks in the distance. It’s lovely.

There is just something magical about the Smoky Mountains that beckons me to visit again and again. Now I like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for a couple of hours, but those places are so busy and fast-paced. I realize I’m going to get tons of hate mail after this comment, but it has to be said: there are limits to how much shopping a girl can do! [GASP!] I know that was harsh, but I needed to say it.

I know everyone thinks I’m a city girl, but remember I grew up in a rural area, and I’m a small town girl at heart. So when I visit the Smokies, I prefer the outdoor scenery in the park itself. Truthfully, I love driving through the mountain pass -- marveling at the sharp turns and steep dropoffs and trying desperately not to dwell on the stories my aunt is recounting...you know, stories about how a rock slide wiped this part of the road out last year, etc. WHAT? No, Mel. Don't think about that. Just focus on the yellow lines. Hee hee! I love stopping for a picnic at one of the many roadside parks along the way, seeing the waterfalls, climbing on the rocks along the river, exploring the trails and breathing in that fresh mountain air. There is so much to see and do.

Anyway, I can hardly contain my excitement already, and it’s only Tuesday. My Dad will be driving to my place from my hometown in Michigan on Thursday, and then on Friday, we’ll be on our way...

Saturday: My Dad and I will drive to Asheville, NC, to meet up with my niece Janet (my Dad’s oldest grandchild). She recently got engaged, and my Dad and I want to meet this “fella.” Asheville is about the halfway point between my Aunt’s home and Janet’s apartment, and so it is just coincidence that we just happen to be meeting in another one of my favorite spots. Yes, it’s like I’m coming home in a way, although we probably won’t be visiting the Biltmore Estate. [BIG SIGH!] Actually, it's probably for the best (and even I can't believe I'm saying that), but tickets are a bit pricey for 2 college students, and I can’t justify spending over $200 on tickets for all of us. YIKES! But our purpose for this secondary roadtrip is to meet up with Janet and Chris, catch some lunch, grill Chris a bit, and maybe visit the FREE Botanical Gardens of Asheville and take some engagement photos. OH and I confess, I’m already scheming how to fit in a visit to the Biltmore gate house gift shop – just because I can. Hee hee!

Sunday: We will be going to church with my Aunt, and I’m quite sure that some of us will probably get out and go for a drive, and if the weather is nice, I'll want to be out walking.

Monday: My Aunt and her husband Leon are taking us into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. A few years ago, my Aunt Laura introduced me to Cades Cove, and it was love at first sight for the cove and me. We bonded quickly over some incredible scenery and interesting run-ins with the local wildlife, and I enjoy each and every visit. It's history, outdoor beauty and old buildings all in one place. I love it!

Tuesday: My Dad and I will drive back to Indy.

I guess you can tell that I’m really looking forward to this time with my Dad. I have 4 siblings, and so it will be nice to have some father-daughter bonding time on my own. I'm excited to catch up with my Aunt as well, give Janet a big squeeze and meet Chris all in the same weekend. I can’t wait. Have camera, will travel...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I hope you and your Dad have safe travels and an awesome weekend!!!