Monday, September 28, 2009

Recent Gratitudes

I am thankful for milder summer temperatures this past season. The air conditioner in my car still acts up once in a while—quitting when it feels like it for a few minutes, blowing stale air around the car at whim, and then working again a few minutes later as if nothing happened. Can you say ANNOYING!!

But twice now in the past 2 years when I have taken my car in for a diagnosis and fixing of the problem, my dear little Maddy (short for Madison) has acted like a perfect angel for her check-up, and so the dealership keeps telling me to bring her in when the AC isn’t working so they can see it happen. Right! Let’s see:
1. Even though my car is definitely a female, I don’t know what is going on under that hood of hers, and I certainly can’t predict her mood (her desire to shut off the AC) or what triggers the prompt shut down of cold air. She has a mind of her own, and I don’t usually interfere or judge. As long as she moves when I press down on the gas pedal and brakes when I tell her to, we get along just fine.
2. It (the missing-in-action AC) typically happens on very hot days, and there haven’t been many hot days this summer so that I could take my car in for the said diagnosis and repairs.
3. My car now makes a slight fizzle noise right before the AC clicks off, but I realize (in hindsight) that explaining that to my mechanic made me look even stupider. I’m sure he and the guys in the shop had a good laugh discussing the nut job who called talking about her fizzling car.
4. This is further proof that we need more women in this mechanic industry. [Janet: please tell me that you are thinking about opening your own garage some day where women can feel comfortable relaying their car issues. PRETTY PLEASE??]
So to sum up, I am thankful that we had a cooler than normal summer because I haven’t had much to complain about with Maddy. The AC has worked for most of the summer, and when it has been less than stellar, I was conveniently rushing off somewhere and didn’t have time to take her in for a check-up. HA!


I have only had to kill one spider in my apartment since March. The eradication of the said vagrant actually just took place this morning. In March, I installed electronic pest repellents, which get plugged into your wall outlets and make some noise or pitch that only bugs and spiders hear. In theory, this apparently makes bugs and spiders keep their distance. Naturally, I have my less-than-scientific theories and conclusions about how it all works and how effective it really is.
1. The particular aforementioned invading spider who met an untimely death this morning was near the sliding glass patio door, which is way across the room from the electronic pest repellent. Thus, I think a smart spider can get around the system by staying on the other side of the room clear from the annoying system.
2. I have killed several pill bugs and other smallish insects, near and in the same room as the electronic pest repellent. Thus I theorize that the bugs higher on the food chain are the only ones affected by the system. The lower class bug citizens don’t seem to be affected.
3. I’m concerned how long the electronic pest repellents work. Since fall has just arrived, I’m hoping the system keeps the spiders from making their way indoors, but my fingers are crossed on that score, and only time will tell how well my plan for an arachnid-free zone is coming along.

I am thankful for my time in the legal department. I have been privileged to work with some great people, build friendships that will last a lifetime, and gained experience that I can't really measure. Plus without my time spent here, I would never have been prone to use phrases like “the aforementioned invading spider” or the “said vagrant.” HA! Truly, I feel my vocabulary has blossomed in the past 5 years, hopefully for the better.

However with all that being said, I will be transitioning to a new position in January. I’ll be staying within the same company, just moving into a different department and tackling new areas. I’m excited about the change and looking forward to new challenges and growth opportunities. I will still be working with some of the same people just filling a new role, and I will also be doing more writing on the job, which thrills me. WOOHOO!!

No comments: