Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Short Week Blues

It is ironic how short work weeks can be filled with such mayhem. You know what I mean, right? Four-day work weeks always seem fraught with crunching 5 days of work into 4, and 3-day work weeks are just more of the same, which is just nutty! HA! This week just happens to fall into that latter category, and since today is my last work day of this 3-day-week, I’m making myself laugh through it.

I’m laughing because:
a) it beats the alternative, which is getting sucked into the melodrama;
b) it is necessary to find humor when things get like this; and
c) it is my attempt to stay sane and keep a level head in the midst of stress.

It is also helpful to remind myself of the blessings all around me:
1. I have a good job, which helps provide for my needs like food, shelter, clothing and cable. Yes, I’m very thankful for my job.
2. I am going on vacation for a few days starting tomorrow. I’ll get to spend time with family members I haven’t seen in a while – like my Dad, my niece Janet and her fiance Chris, and my Aunt Laura and husband Leon. Lots of hugs!
3. The latest test confirmed that I don’t have a sinus infection anymore after fighting it off for the last couple of months. We’re done with that, and now I’m just experiencing seasonal allergies again for the first time since I moved to Indiana. HA! Now, THAT I can handle!
4. This weekend, I get to see more of the Smoky Mountains, revisit Cades Cove and get as close as I can to the Biltmore Estate without paying for admission, etc. WOOHOO!!!
5. Did I mention that I’m going on vacation in just a few hours? Hee hee!

I don’t mean to be all “Pollyanna” about life here. I'm a realist, too. I know it is tough out there. Our economy, unemployment stats, the government, the housing market – it all seems to be about doom and gloom right now. Every week there seems to be more bad news, but there is always something to be thankful for. There is always hope, a rainbow or a silver lining if we just look for it. We just have to remind ourselves where to rest our faith and confidence. It doesn’t reside in relationships, in money, in the government, in the economy, in employment or other things. True hope comes from THE ONE – JESUS CHRIST! And I have to ask myself often...am I passing that hope on to others? Does it shine through in spite of the rough day I'm having? Hmmmmm...

LORD, keep my eyes open to see things clearly amidst the confusion, keep my mind stayed on YOU despite the drama, and keep my heart tuned to YOURS always.

No comments: