Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Precious Time With My Dad

I had a fabulous 5 days with my Dad. It was all great – our stimulating conversations; doing crossword puzzles together on the drive; the wit and sarcasm flying around; exploring Asheville with him, my niece Janet and her fiance Chris; watching him interact with his younger sister my Aunt Laura; introducing him to Cades Cove; etc. To quote my 4-year-old-niece Grace, “It was amazing!”

Maryville: My Aunt Laura and her husband Leon were fabulous hosts as always. She and I got out walking in a local park during our visit. We also enjoyed visiting their church and hearing them sing in the choir. It was great to just catch up with them as well as listen to my Dad and Aunt recount stories from days gone by. I sure enjoy a good story, and I got to hear several I hadn’t heard before.

Asheville: My Dad and I met Janet and Chris in Asheville. We took a stroll in the historic district and had lunch at the Corner Kitchen. The food was good, and the restaurant was rather charming. We visited a few shops and then headed to the Botanical Gardens of Asheville. The gardens were not very picturesque on our visit, but I still managed to take some photos of the newly engaged couple. Cute couple!

The Smoky Mountains: They were even more beautiful than I had remembered. Our drive into Cades Cove was quite eventful. I don’t recall there being so many potholes on the loop in the past, but it definitely kept things interesting this go-round. We toured some of the cabins and churches in the cove as usual, and again, I was just struck with the magnificent views that those settlers had. They sure picked an optimal spot to set down roots and build their community. It didn’t last long, but it sure must have been nice while it lasted. Before we left the national park, we stopped at a roadside park along the river, and I got to run across some rocks again. I do love my rocks, and I sure do enjoy the Smokies. I'm so glad that I got to spend those few days with my Dad. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. I love you, Dad!


Hours in the car: fourteen
Miles on the rental: A LOT
Number of time we were almost lost: once
Priceless memories: TOO MANY TO COUNT!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I had in August with my dad and Frank. It was just awesome that it was just Dad and kids. I can't wait for next year's trip to the cottage. :-)