Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Writer In Me

Sometimes I think I am afraid to speak (aka blog) unless I have something brilliant to share, something insightful to relate, something deeply compelling or amazingly profound to discuss. HA! As if, I’m afraid I will scare away all 10 of my readers if I don’t give them something gripping, but my life isn’t that kind of novel. There have been some amazing chapters, and I optimistically think there are more ahead.

REAL LIFE isn’t always breathtakingly beautiful, whimsically interesting or overwhelmingly exciting. Those moments exist, but life is also lived out in the mundane: the silly happenings, trips to the grocery store, filling up the gas tank, going to work 40+ hours a week, watching too much TV, happily snapping photos of objects in my apartment with my new camera, jamming with my i-Turtle, etc. It’s good. It’s interesting to me. It’s just not always like a Friends episode. My story is my own.

I have a magnet on my fridge with one of my favorite quotes of all time:
“For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin – real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.” — Souza

Isn't that amazing? I love it. I think I'm going to blog more or make an effort to recount the journey. Maybe my life won't be a page-turner every "episode," but I embrace it all the same, and I'm grateful for each moment.

No comments: