Monday, October 25, 2010

Saying Thanks

No sooner does GOD mend one area of my life and fill in the gaps than I catch myself bemoaning another area of my life that needs some attention. Now that I’ve happy with one aspect of my life, I’m ready to move on to the next “project” on my wish list that requires some divine intervention. OK, LORD, you took care of that one. Let’s see what you can do with this one over here!

But did I take the time to say thank you?
Did I praise THE ONE who made it all possible?
Sure, I mumbled a few thanks along the way, but did I really take the time to soak it all in and let it ruminate within my soul?

Well, I need to…

10 weeks ago, I stepped out and away from my comfort zone. I’d been attending the same church for nearly 9 years. I had so desperately tried to find my niche of service and to identify with the rest of the church body, but it just wasn’t happening there. I met with leaders and tried to facilitate the changes from within the church while also taking a hard look at my self. I adjusted my attitude, sought out other modes to get involved, tried new avenues of service and prayed long and hard about it, but something wasn’t right. Albert Einstein’s definition of insanity comes to mind: “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” That was me! I was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I kept trying to hammer myself to fit in where I wasn’t meant to be, when GOD had something else in mind for me.

GOD led me to St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, which shocked some of my family and friends, but I gulped, followed HIS leading and made the switch. I didn’t want to start out in the idle position. I was anxious to just get plugged in, and so I promptly started rehearsing and singing with the Chancel Choir, which spiraled into more opportunities. I got drafted into assisting with a choir fundraiser and then found myself as a co-chair on a committee, which involved a couple of meetings, lots of phone calls and a crop of emails.

I spotted a note in the bulletin for the St. Luke’s 101 course, which provided an introduction to the core beliefs, worship opportunities, outreach ministries, staff members, etc. Honestly, I figured it was too late to get in on the class, but I sent a last minute email anyway, and within hours, I had a voicemail saying that I was enrolled for the class, which began the following day. So off I went into a 6-week course to learn more about the church and other ways I could get involved and join the community of believers HE had brought me into. Each week I have learned more about my new church home and about the numerous ways I can get involved and actively serving. It's been amazing!

I kept meeting more and more people in the church each week as well, whether I was recruiting them to volunteer and sell tickets for our fundraiser, sharing my story of how GOD led me to St. Luke’s with my fellow classmates or mingling with others over donuts between Sunday services. GOD continued to draw me in, and I was overwhelmed with the love and kindness I was experiencing.

And then this past weekend, things all culminated at our choir fundraising event. It was an exhausting, exciting and engaging two evenings, where I had ample time to bond and get to know many other choir members. We talked, laughed, joked and served alongside each other, and I was delighted to be a part of the experience. It was incredible.

I’ve blogged about the family atmosphere within the church choir and how touched I have been by it in the weeks past. But after this weekend, I realized that I am not just watching the family interact from the sidelines any more. I am now a part of that family directly. I’m in. I’m way in, maybe a bit in over my head, but it's all been good. Hee hee!

Yes, I am truly amazed at the transformation GOD has brought into my life in such a short time span. HE has provided for me above and beyond my expectations and continues to surprise me along the journey. And all the glory, honor and praise belong to GOD.
LORD, thank YOU for your timely provision of a new church family, for your abundant grace and mercy in my life, and for your steadfast love and faithful guidance each step of the journey. YOU have blessed me, and I am grateful. 

No comments: