Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Expectant Season

OK, before the rumors start to fly, let me state for the record that I am NOT pregnant. No baby is expected in my life within the next 10 months or more honest! AHEM! I am glad to get that little agenda item cleared up.

Actually, I’m using the term “expectant” here in a different line of thought. I heard it on the radio this morning. Normally, I don’t like talkative DJs, especially in the mornings. I listen for music only, and typically I tune the talking out or flip to another station, but today I listened to some DJ chatter for just a couple of moments. K-Love was talking about the term “expectant” and asking what their listeners were expecting this holiday season, and it made me pause and think about it, and I still am. I went straight for my online dictionary this morning...

The term “expectant” means to await something, to anticipate or look forward to an occurrence. It can be something we are looking forward to or even something we are hoping for. I like Merriam-Webster.com’s discussion on the word “expect” and a couple of synonyms:
“EXPECT, HOPE, LOOK mean to await some occurrence or outcome. Expect implies a high degree of certainty and usually involves the idea of preparing or envisioning. Hope implies little certainty but suggests confidence or assurance in the possibility that what one desires or longs for will happen. Look, with to, implies assurance that expectations will be fulfilled; [look] with for it implies less assurance and suggests an attitude of expectancy and watchfulness.”
So what am I expecting this holiday season?
In what am I hoping?
To whom am I looking?

No comments: