Monday, November 29, 2010

Just Another Manic Monday…

Today has not started off well, and sadly, I haven’t handled it quite as well as I would have liked. I’d like to say that I’ve let optimism rue the day, but that hasn’t happened. I’m running on empty as it is, and my emotions keep waffling between anger, frustration and sadness. I’m hoping my sense of humor will return soon, and I’m attempting to find something to laugh about by writing this down…

I arrived home on Saturday evening and found a completely empty mailbox. It seemed odd. I was expecting 2 DVDs from my Netflix que to be there, and I was pretty sure that I should have received at least one holiday card already. My cousin Julie's card and letter is almost always the first to arrive. So I went to the post office first thing this morning and waited in line to find out what had happened.

The bottom line is that my postal carrier decided that since I didn’t empty my mailbox for 3 days (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) that I must have moved, and so she had ALL of my mail marked “return to sender” without any notification to me. Yep, she simply emptied my mailbox and sent all of my mail back to the senders because quite clearly I had fled the country since I didn’t empty my mailbox of all those holiday ads while I was away in Michigan.

This has never happened to me before. I didn’t imagine that my mailbox would get full in 3 days, and if it had, I assumed that the process would be that my mail carrier would simply leave me a card indicating that I needed to pick my mail up at the post office. That’s been the process in the past. I’ve never put a HOLD on my mail for 3 days or less. 3 days is the minimum amount of days they will hold your mail anyway, and so I figured it was safe for that amount of time at least. I never assumed that over a 3-day holiday break, my mail carrier would assume I had moved.

So now I’m left wondering…
What mail will I never get? 
Was there something important in the mix like a bill?
Will I really get mail in my mailbox tonight like I was told? At this point, it is anybody’s guess really, but here’s hoping.
Right now I’m just trying to count my blessings…
1.  My call to Netflix was quick and easy, and they are going to promptly resend the movies that my postal carrier sent back to them. Awesome! 
2.  I’m so glad that I had all my holiday purchases sent to my work address. YAY! 
3.  I probably won’t ever see those missing Thanksgiving holiday ads that probably over-stuffed my mailbox and prompted my mail carrier to think I had fled the scene. Yep, those MIA ads are probably gone for good. WOOHOO!!

No comments: