Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Obsessed with Accents

Confession: I’m obsessed with accents from the United Kingdom or Ireland. It’s true. Whether it be Irish, Scottish, Welsh or English, it all sounds better to these American ears. There is something magical and lyrical in their speech that seems to be missing from every day life here in the States. I can't get enough.

I love Masterpiece Theatre’s British productions in particular. Whether it is a stirring rendition of a Jane Austen novel like Emma, an updated 21st century version of Sherlock or a murder mystery like Inspector Lewis – it’s all charming in a way. I’m hooked. I wait anxiously for the start of every new season.

A lot of British television is quite appealing to me, and I've been catching up on some series courtesy of my friends at Netflix. My current muse has been the Midsomer Murders series. In every episode a murder or two takes place in some quiet little burrow amidst the English countryside, and Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby is sent to investigate. Yes, despite the idyllic landscape of lovely gardens, 17th-century estates and luscious green hills – murders happen. The most charming shopkeeper, whimsical innkeeper or harmonious birdwatcher might be the next evil villain to strike out at a neighbor, the town gossip or the village priest. It’s mesmerizingly delightful.

So yes, I’ve known for quite some time that I was a fan. This isn’t really news to me. But until recently, I had no idea how severe my condition had become. Last night, I watched the BBC evening news on PBS and discovered that even their news sounds “better” dressed in that amazing accent. I caught myself sighing and smiling at the most droll report, and it finally hit me. I need help.

1 comment:

D. L. Webster said...

Try "The IT Crowd".