Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Aching for Beauty

I think each of us ache for beauty. Sometimes we catch a glimpse of it, and it is more than we can handle here in the present. It doesn’t resonate with the other things in our lives – the chaos, the hatred, the pain, the struggles. Somehow just a peek at something pure or less tainted creates a dissonance within. It leaves us longing for that something else. Longing for more! We long for something else perhaps less defined. I think most of us - Christian or non-Christian – hope for more. We crave something we can’t always identify.

I think certain longings or desires aren’t meant to be over-ridden or ignored. I think these are the outcry of our souls, searching for something we can’t find within. We long for something else – a deeper communion, a perfect harmony with something outside ourselves.

It is magical.
It is mystical.
And yet it is real.

C.S. Lewis said it best: “If I find in myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”

It is a dissatisfaction with our current status, and yet, I believe it is all good...

No comments: