Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Am a Rotic...

I read and re-read classic books about the ongoing quest for love.
I watch romantic films and epic love stories.
I stir with the lyrical voices of the romantic poets.
I listen to love songs and sappy musicals with a heartfelt sigh.

Yes, I’m a rotic. A romantic without a man in my life. I dream, write and hope to find a love of my own one day. I want it deeply. I crave it. I long for it, and yet it has eluded me completely. It baffles me. It frustrates me. It ticks me off. It teases me, and yet, it seems forever a part of me. I find I can’t completely turn it off. I’ve tried.

I can tune it out for a period. I can avoid chic flicks and run from Masterpiece Theatre. I can hide the poetry and lock away my favorite books. I can drown out the sounds of Michael Bublé in my head with some Nickelback.

But it doesn’t change who I am. I’m a passionate thing. I feel deeply, always have. I can run from that desire and pretend the ache does not exist. OR I can simply accept the longing as part of who I am. It doesn’t define me entirely. It’s just another aspect of my personality, my character.

Hello. My name is Melanie, and I’m a rotic/romantic, but it is just a slice of who I am...

1 comment:

D. L. Webster said...

You might find the following article interesting: http://www.loveisanorientation.com/2011/part-5-sacred-unions-by-dan-brennan/ (It's in five parts.)

The main idea that stuck out to me was that deep, life-giving relationships can exist outside of the romantic kind. It felt sort of like a weight lifted. In other words, we don't have to wait to be married in order to have deep friendship.