Thursday, June 21, 2007

Asking the Tough Questions

I found out late last week that I was on the interview team for a new hire and that the interviews were starting this week. Let me just say that I’ve learned how very interesting it can be on the OTHER SIDE of the table. It’s not a cake walk to lead an interview. You have to prepare ahead of time, but also be ready to revise your questions on the fly. You have to monitor and assess body language as well as control the discussion and be ready to answer questions yourself. And once the interview ends, your work is only just beginning. Next you have to critique the “performance,” meet with other members of the team and make some judgment calls all based on a couple of sheets of paper and a 30-minute interview. Not an easy task! I guess it can be intimidating on both sides of the table….

I must confess that this new experience has made me highly curious. I think I’d like to see a video of my interview for my current job. I wish I could see how I behaved, how nervous or fidgety I was, whether or not I was myself, etc. Did I talk much? Did I respond to questions well? Did I show any confidence? I mean, I must have exhibited something positive because they hired me, after all.

I don’t really know any one who LIKES interviews. I think they do get easier with time, but it is still not something the majority of us really look forward to. OK, so I guess I’d choose an interview over a dental cleaning. WOW! That’s saying something. 10 years ago, I would have chosen the dental chair without any hesitation...

No comments: