Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Listening to an Old Friend

Last Saturday, I briefly went through the Castleton Mall with my friends, Becky and Sara. As we walked through the Von Maur store, I couldn’t help but be impressed by the fact that they had a man playing the piano as they patrons shopped. I must say it was all very pleasant!

It was also a clear indication that I shouldn’t be shopping there...I mean as much as it impressed me that they could afford to pay a man to play the piano to add to the enjoyment of the shopping experience, it was also a blatant sign that I was out of place. I mean, you don’t see that at Wal-mart, Target or Costco, which is a shame really. They should consider it.

Anyway, he was busy playing as we entered the mall. And then later as we headed for the exits, I spotted him heading back to the piano to play some more tunes. What would he play next, I wondered. We continued on our way out the door, and then, just then, I heard it--those all too familiar bars of music drifted across space to me, calling to me softly, gently but undeniably drawing me back. This was no careless tune, no frivoulous melody. This was my song, my very own MOONLIGHT SONATA!

I caught my breath and stopped in my tracks. I turned politely to my friends and dared to ask that we delay our departure for just a moment or two while I reveled in the haunting sounds of an old dear friend. They obliged me, and so I meandered back towards the music through the shoes and accessories department, as I listened to Beethoven’s lilting refrain yet again. It is still pure magic. All to soon, the delicious song was over, and we headed back out into the world of Saturday errands. (sigh!)

Yes, my tastes in music have changed over the years, but some things never change. Beethoven still speaks to me like none other...

No comments: