Friday, June 15, 2007

Forgive the Shy Smile…

But next weekend, we’re going back to Dayton, where I hope to see “Mr. Clean” security guard and say goodbye to my year-long obsession with him as an ideal! So forgive the silly grin, I can’t seem to let it go.

There is a great deal of “risk” here as to whether or not I see him. What if he got another job and has moved on? What if he is off next Saturday? What if he has some slimy, model-like, anorexic girlfriend attached to his arm? [OK, let’s not go there! Think happy thoughts...]

The plan is for me to see him one last time, sigh a little bit, wipe the drool off my chin and let go of the memory. Let go of those brief short nanoseconds when our eyes met, and for a fraction of an instant, I glimpsed his soul. [WOW! That’s good. I like that...let me write that down.] I guess it's just time to say goodbye.

Of course, if my 4 single girlfriends have anything to do with it, there will be more than gawking across the room. Kristen is planning to strike up a conversation with him and ask if she can take his picture. She’s already working on a story about a friend that visited the art institute last year and commented on the hot security guard she saw there. [Hopefully he’ll be oblivious to THAT friend standing right behind Kristen, trying to keep from giggling like she’s 14 or running away from sheer embarrassment!] And who knows what other schemes Jessica, Sara and Becky are working on now...

All right, I realize that married people might think single people are silly sometimes. After all, we have so much freedom, so much time, SO MUCH...and yet, we're always looking for more. But it’s rough out there on your own. It can be brutal. And trust me, if you were 33, single, romantic and desperate for a love to call your own, you’d find yourself clinging to a dream some days just because you can. After all...

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all..."


[Thanks, Emily]

No comments: