Wednesday, April 30, 2008

UPDATED **My Chicago Adventure**

This is my 2nd visit to the Windy City with the Indianapolis Museum of Art Volunteers and Docents. As a lowly volunteer, I was delighted at yet another opportunity. I invited my co-worker Barb to come as my guest, and we had a great day away from the office.

We went to the Chicago Art Institute to see the Winslow Homer and Edward Hopper exhibits on display. It was really awesome. Now, I’ve been a fan of Hopper since my college days. I like the simplicity of his style and the pensive mood that some of his pieces create. But I didn’t know much about Winslow Homer, and yet, I also enjoyed his work, too. He primarily painted in watercolors, and I was struck with the precision and skill it must have taken to paint in such detail as he did using only watercolors.

We also toured through the Impressionist galleries, where I tried to take digital shots of each and every Renoir, Monet and Seurat on display. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Thorne Miniature Rooms in the lower level of the museum. I even bought a book about the rooms to review them in more detail. Very impressive stuff!

After our tours, we headed out doors (in the rain – see my Monet umbrella) for some lunch and a bit of sight seeing. We walked a bit through Millennium Park. I loved the fountains and the fascinating bean. Love the bean!! We then took a cab (see previous post) and went up Michigan Avenue for some shopping. I wanted to check out Crate & Barrel, Chicago style.

I still need to plan a full weekend trip there to really see all the sights, enjoy the riverboat architectural tour, walk along the lakeshore, see Navy Pier, visit the other museums, take in some special cuisine, do some city shopping, etc. Yes, I need to make a point about returning to Chicago and getting to know the city better. All in good time and as money allows, I guess.

**UPDATE: I failed to mention where I got the fabulous Monet umbrella I am toting in the photograph. It was a bday present from my beloved sister. Isn't she just the best?** Sis, was that subtle enough?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad the trip was good, and that Barb got to join you! Like the umbrella...where have I seen it before? :)