Saturday, May 3, 2008

I Think I'm a Country Mouse...

You know that kid's story about city mouse and country mouse. Well, if you don't...city mouse visits country mouse in the country, and then country mouse visits city mouse in the city. And the whole point is while they both love visiting the other's home, they still long to go back to their familiar surroundings. City mouse discovers he's not meant for the country life, and country mouse learns that the city is fun to visit but not home to him.

So...I think I'm a country mouse. I grew up in small town America, you know, a town of 2,000 or so, where everybody knows your business, etc. I think I miss some of that. While I loved visiting Chicago this week and sometimes I miss working downtown Indy, I think I'm meant for the country.

OK, so I'm not really living in the country right now. I'm still in the Indianapolis city zone, but I'm on the fringes right now, and I like it there. I still like to escape to Eagle Creek Park and get lost on the trails or visit some of the small towns around me like Clermont or Lizton. I still like to know my 30+ ways to get from here to there. I call it my escape routes. I mean, I think you should always know another way to get somewhere. It's practical really, but for me, it's also fun. I know in these days of needing to conserve gas, you should be always taking the shortest route from point A to point B, but I confess that I still like to wander and get away to the cornfields, away from the hustle and bustle of 465, away from the road rage and honking of horns.

Yeah, I'm a country mouse living on the fringes of the city...

No comments: