Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Accidental Brilliance

I'm noting a trend both this week and last week, and I feel it best to just be open about it and not keep it to myself before it goes any further. So here goes...

Three times now in the last week and a half, my co-workers have hollered for me or walked over and asked me if I could come and take a look at their computer issues. Hey, Mel, can you take a look at this please? OR Melanie, what do I do when this happens? I think it's stuck. So on these 3 occasions with my 3 different co-workers, I have gone into their offices and fixed the problem [i.e. I pressed a couple of buttons or restarted the machine, and everything seemed to work fine after that].

So now, they think I'm something of a genius or an IT wizard. Hey, how did you do that? OR WOW!You're good. STOP LAUGHING! This is serious. I can't let this continue.

Those of you that know me well, know the truth. My Mom and Dad might think I'm something of a technological expert because I reset the clock on their DVD player every time I visit, but that's just because that blinking light drives me crazy. My 5-year-old nephew Jacob knows that Auntie Mel is no gadget wizard. He has tried several times to teach me how to make the cow jump on the cow racing game on Wii, but I just can't seem to get it. Poor kid--he gets so frustrated with me. I've mastered tennis, bowling and most of the other games, but I just can't get the cow racing thing down. Truth be told, in the real tech-savvy world, I'm a complete novice. I might have mastered the remote control, but that's about it. I will confess however that I am a magnet for challenging computer issues--that part is true. I find them, but I can't fix them myself. I just bring them to my IT pal's attention and ask them to diagnose and fix the problem. Pretty please?

So if there was any brilliance in this case, it was accidental. I know that Arif, Aric, Jason, or Joe would 100% agree with that statement. And my brother-in-law (i.e. the coding genius) will totally laugh at the possibility of me being a computer genius.

So I've got to nip this rumor in the bud once and for all... Let me clarify. If you have computer issues, please get help elsewhere. I'd love to help you, I really would, but you are much better off WITHOUT my assistance. Trust me! It's better with electronic gadgets that I just step back and let a person skilled in the art (as we say in the patent world) do his/her stuff! However, if you need someone to check for grammatical errors, to assist with legal patent documents, to take some photos, or to suggest tips on how to kill crickets that are invading your space, I'm your girl.

4 comments:

Whiskers said...

The reason for your 'brilliance' is the excellent tutorage you have received from your BIL. I am proud of my young padawan.... but you are FAR from being a Jedi.

Melanie said...

I know...I know. But doesn't it concern you just a tad that someone would think I was an expert? It scares the heck out of me.

Anonymous said...

I will not even comment on my level of fear on this one. Remember, at the office where I used to work, they once believed I had a clue too and brought me their computer problems. We must be able to fudge our way thru things enough to appear brilliant. Hey, that's a skill, even if not resume worthy! Perhaps we are meant for political careers??? lol

Melanie said...

[COUGH, COUGH! GASP!] POLITICS? Doesn't that mean I would have to speak in front of people?

I think I would be better behind the scenes...writing the speeches and that sort of thing. HA!