Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Saving the World, 1 Flex Point at a Time...

There is a great deal of torture here at work. Not physical beatings or water drip torture. Things aren’t quite that barbaric in corporate America, I don’t think. No, the torture I speak of relates to the frequent displays of birthday treats, leftover sweets, Einstein or Panera bagels and cream cheese, and other tasty consumption items that are often placed on the party table in the near vicinity of my desk or actually on the ledge at my desk.

So, why does this pose a problem? Well, most of you may not know this, but I am now living under an assumed identity: Diet Girl. I know it’s intimidating. It sounds like a super hero--doesn’t it? Sadly I don’t have a cape, but I have heard that capes are overrated anyhow. And no, I’m not in the witness protection program or hiding out from the mob either. I’m simply on a quest to become healthier. Oooh, I like that! It sounds so hobbitesque...

My journey with Weight Watchers and their Flex Points system began on April 1st. I’m not kidding. This is not an April Fools’ joke, people. I really started the diet on April 1st. No really, I did! It might sound like a joke, but it really happened. My sister and I decided to make some major strides toward getting in shape, and so here I am as Diet Girl. I’ve lost 18.3 pounds on the plan thus far, and it makes me giddy. I’m not aiming for the Miss 30-something America pageant here, if there even is such a thing. I’m just trying to get a better handle on my health.

So how did I get the nickname, Diet Girl? Well, twice in the last 3 weeks, one of my attorneys has brought in Einstein bagels with several tubs of cream cheese. It is tradition, and I can appreciate that, and I think he likes putting it all on my counter or ledge, which is right next to his office, so that people pop into his office all day and thank him for the bagels. I don’t think he is purposefully trying to torment me, and I'm certainly NOT trying not to be ornery about this, but that just doesn’t work for me any more. I don’t need that tempting smell wafting in my direction or the visual of fresh cinnamon sugar bagels sitting right in front of me all day. I can usually handle it for an hour or two, but after that, the bagels and cream cheese have to go. I don’t say anything about it or make a scene. I just sweep everything up and put it back on the party table down the hall. And if the attorneys ask me about it, I say, I’m on a diet, remember?

So this week, one of my attorneys brought out some chocolates and placed them on my ledge. After he walked away, I hastily moved them down the hall to a more convenient location. He later asked me why, and I said, Diet Girl doesn’t want to look at those chocolates all day. It’s a bit of a torture. He laughed, and ever since, I became known as Diet Girl here in the office.

So what does my role as Diet Girl mean in the real world? Well, as Diet Girl...
1. I do a lot more walking. My co-worker Barb and I walk during our lunch hour a couple of days per week, and my friend Becky and I walk a couple of evenings each week as well. I’m not ready for the mini yet, but I’m thinking about signing up for 2009 or 2010.

2. I pay attention to what I eat now. I read labels in grocery stores and am often purchasing things that are light, sugar-free or low fat. It’s becoming a habit.

3. I tend to tell people how many Weight Watchers flex points they just consumed. Are you sure you are going to eat that? Is that wise? It’s 26 points.

4. I provide a wealth of dietary information to those who want it. As in, I frequently answer questions such as: Hey, Mel, how many points are in this chip?

5. I don’t eat out as often as I used to, and I’ve completely given up places like Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden for the time being. It was hard to come to that decision, but when I discovered that my favorite dish at Macaroni Grill had 22 points (Pasta Milano: 920 calories/48 g fat/10 g fiber), I knew I needed to be drastic and break it off. [BIG sigh!]
OK, so it’s not all fun and games being Diet Girl, but I already feel a lot better and healthier, and that is a start in the right direction. WOOHOO!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the title of this post....sounds like a super hero by-line! :) Very cruel that the office treats are put at YOUR cub!