Friday, May 16, 2008

Starting Over Again

As some of you may already know, I am currently seeking a new home church. I was very active with College Park Church, especially with the Singles Ministry for over 5 years, but once the singles group disbanded, I struggled to find where I belonged in the church. It just didn’t seem enough to sit in the congregation, to attend every Sunday, to feel like I wasn’t fellowshipping with the body. I tried to find a way to volunteer, but no one would return my calls or my emails when I would sign-up to help or ask how I could serve. And when I tried the other singles classes in the church, I didn’t feel I had much in common with those attending. I was at a different stage in my life. I wanted to be challenged and pushed outside my comfort zone. I wanted to use my mind and be stretched rather than entertained. There were really good people in the mix, and I wouldn’t want to offend them for the world, but we were just wanting different things. Perhaps they were getting the bulk of their teaching from the pulpit, while I had been getting mine from my singles Bible study. Truthfully, it was the Bible study teaching that had been the bulk of my influence, and I missed the teaching of both Rich Vincent and Shane Fuller from my Bible study. I missed the whirlwind of contemplation after one of their studies. I guess in retrospect, I had been attending College Park simply because it was the church affiliated with my Bible study. It was the easy choice maybe.

So for a few months, I waffled on what to do. I tried a couple of other churches for a few weeks, but no place really felt like home to me. I’d go back to attending College Park again for a few more weeks, but once again, I would end up feeling the need to go somewhere else. I’d have these long drawn out conversations with GOD on my way home from a service...I’m miserable there. You know I am. I just don’t fit in. How long can I keep this up? Maybe you are trying to teach me something in my discomfort? LORD, please reveal yourself to me...So I’d pray about it again and ask for GOD’s guidance week after week. I’d work on my attitude and try to start each service out differently, but things continued to go downhill. Until at last, GOD made HIMSELF very clear. I’m not supposed to be at College Park right now, and once I said those words out loud, I had peace. Sure, it would be too easy to just go back to what I know and to get comfortable again in the same place, but that’s the old Mel talking. That’s the whole “do the same thing and expect different results” routine. You’ve been there, you’ve done that, and you know how things will end up! It’s time to make a move.

Hence, I am starting over (again) and looking for a new church home. Last week, was my first week back out there. I visited a Grace Brethren Church on the West side. I wasn’t raised in the GBC, but I did attend a GBC for 4 years or so right after college. The people were friendly, the teaching was doctrinally sound, and it was altogether a pretty positive experience. However, I believe I was the only single in attendance (male or female), and while I don’t believe GOD wants me to attend church to find a mate, I think I would miss the company of fellow singletons altogether. So that was a bit disconcerting. I mean, not having another single person to catch some dinner with after the morning service – that scenario would be a little hard, I think. But, I have resolved to visit them again because I don’t think 1 week is a long enough time for a review in this case.

I am still trying to draft up a list of what is key to finding the right home church. I found some resources online, and so I have my homework cut out for me, but I'm not doing this alone this time. HE is with me, and we're in this together.

No comments: