Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Part 2: Above All, Trust in the Slow Work of God

A friend of mine quoted Monsieur Pierre Teilhard de Chardin on the phone about a year ago, and I hastily wrote the quote down on a post-it for further contemplation. Well, the other day, I found the post-it again and have been struck by that first line again and again this week: “Above all, trust in the slow work of God..."

My former pastor, Rich Vincent, used to talk often about the frenetic pace of life that we so easily get caught up into. Yes, even with spiritual things, we get into that same frantic frame of mind--thinking that if we don't instantly see the changes in our lives that we are not truly reformed, not truly redeemed or forgiven. But spirituality isn't something you attain. You don't arrive one day and get your certificate of achievement, not in this life. The spiritual life is a journey, all part of the slow work of God.

In his book, “Messy Spirituality,” the late Michael Yaconelli wrote:
“Spirituality is not a formula; it is not a test. It is a relationship. Spirituality is not about competency; it is about intimacy. Spirituality is not about perfection; it is about connection. The way of the spiritual life begins where we are now in the mess of our lives. Accepting the reality of our broken, flawed lives is the beginning of spirituality not because the spiritual life will remove our flaws but because we let go of seeking perfection and, instead, seek God, the one who is present in the tangledness of our lives. Spirituality is not about being fixed; it is about God's being present in the mess of our unfixedness.”
I get so frustrated with the cluttered mesh of my life. I'm task-oriented, project driven. I'm wanting to attain my goals and reach the mark I am striving for. I get impatient by the crawling pace I'm encountering on my daily walk. I'm wanting to skip ahead a few chapters, get to the good stuff. Not realizing that if I impatiently hurry on, I'll lose sight of the REALLY good stuff -- the relationship, the intimate bonding between FATHER and child.

"Above All, Trust in the Slow Work of God..."

No comments: