Friday, April 3, 2009

Doing the Friday Happy Dance

I’ve been doing the Friday happy dance all morning. Picture Steve Urkel! It’s not a pretty picture since I can’t dance, but I’m filled with glee and don’t really care. Not sure why, but my heart is light and carefree despite the gloomy weather outdoors, and I’m mentally doing cartwheels and somersaults as I go about my day. Those cartwheels are quite a chore for me even though they are just mental cartwheels. See, I never learned how to do cartwheels. Seriously, my P.E. teacher worked and worked with me, but it never took. Honestly, I don’t think I missed my calling. It just wasn’t meant to be.

A N Y W A Y, I’m quite elated that today is Friday. No big plans for the weekend or anything, but I’m ready to catch up on the essentials that keep this girl ticking: sleeping, reading, writing and getting creative. Sounds good to me!

As an indication of my current mood, I just randomly composed new lyrics to the tune of “Good Morning” from the 1952 musical classic Singin’ in the Rain. Are you ready for this? I don’t know. I think you will be quite impressed, and it took me all of 15 seconds tops to compose this. This could be my first Tony Award nomination, and I’m sharing it with just a select few. Are you touched or what?
It’s Friday. It’s Fri—day.
It’s great to make it here.
It’s Friday. Yep, Friday.
WOOHOO!!
Just blew your mind, didn’t I? HA!

That tune brings back some awesome memories. Those of you who knew me back in my college camp counselor days may recall that I was quite a morning person back in the day, especially during the weekend retreats. When I was at Camp Spearhead and removed from the restrictive dorm life, I was in my happy place, and every morning, I would jump out of bed just glad to be alive and FREE. It was at this time during my life that I was often heard singing the “Good Morning” song to help wake up my fellow counselors and the campers. The campers seemed to like it. In fact, I remember taking musical requests on occasion as I cheerily buzzed about the cabin. Thinking back, I’m guessing that my fellow counselors probably wanted to strangle me to end my chipper morning tune, but to my knowledge, no one ever tried to kill me. At least, I never knew of said plot to end my reign of morning musical madness.

To Mary, Cris, Brandi, Suzanne, Moldy, Jeanette, Frankie and BBJ: If you ever had to enter therapy or seek any medical treatment due to my musical whims or first-thing-in-the-morning cheerfulness, I feel somewhat responsible, and I wish you a full recovery. I’m sorry. If it helps any, looking back, even I am curious where I got the strength and stamina to energetically bound about the cabin like I did. Seriously. Do you recall how much sleep we would actually get at camp on those weekends? YIKES! Nowadays, I wouldn’t say that I am an early morning person any more. I’m more a mid-day person these days. Well, maybe not quite mid-day...but I’m not usually bubbling over until after 9 AM if that is any consolation. Maybe I have mellowed with age? HA!

Happy Friday! Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: