Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LOST in Austen

I have an affliction or perhaps better stated, I have a chronic need to see every production of a Jane Austen or Austen-esque film. Tonight I watched Lost in Austen courtesy of Netflix, and I was sadly disappointed. To tell you the truth, I think dear Jane would have been horrified and is perhaps even now rolling over in her grave.

I'm all for creative license, but this story got rather twisted in a hurry and never really settled back down. Basically by some freaky hidden door between the fictional Lizzie Bennett's house and the flat of a modern woman named Amanda Price, the 2 manage to switch places. With Lizzie gone from the Bennett household, Amanda tries to keep the Pride & Prejudice story line going. After all, she knows it by heart, but things go all awry. Mr. Bingley finds himself captivated with Amanda rather than with sweet Jane. To save her family's claim on Longbourn, Jane sacrifices herself in marriage to the horrid Mr. Collins. Caroline Bingley turns out to be a lesbian and makes a pass at Amanda. Whitcomb turns out to be less of a rake than we all thought and actually helps Amanda along. Darcy is, well, not Colin Firth or Matthew MacFayden, but he is still Darcy. He finds himself falling in love with Amanda, and Amanda is conflicted. Isn't he meant for Elizabeth? What's a girl to do when her favorite fictional character falls head over heels in love with her? SPOILER ALERT: He chooses Amanda over Elizabeth, and the 2 characters decide to switch places permanently. Sounds like every Austen fan's dream come true, right? WRONG!

Basically, I watched 3 hours of complete nonsense, and to cleanse my mental pallet, I need to watch the classic 1995 version of P&P as re-preparation for my trip to Great Britain in 13 days. I just feel I need more classic images of one of the greatest love stories in my head before I travel. I need to forget all the insanity rambling through my head and get recaptivated by this story once again.

In less than a fortnight, I shall be in the land of Darcy and Elizabeth for myself. I shall be touring the stately homes of the British aristocracy and the National Trust. I shall be meandering through gardens not unlike those of Pemberley or Rosings Park. Yes, I know that England is a modern country. I'm not expecting Bingley and Darcy to ride up to meet me on horseback any more than I will be expected to take the floor with a waltz at Netherfield. But I can't help but be captivated by an era long gone by...

5 comments:

Barb said...

Don't forget to set up lunch!!!

Melanie said...

Yes, Mom... I'll look into it. DON'T PRESSURE ME. :)

Just me said...

so.... P&P is a LOVE story... hmmm... never saw it, but I may try. I tried to read a Jane Austin book once, but then classes started back up and I never finished it. someday... someday I'll be worthy of your friendship! lol

Barbara said...

Thanks for the heads-up on this movie. I shall avoid it, per your advice. Sounds awful! On the other hand, "Becoming Jane" was very well done, and that creative license was acceptable.

Melanie said...

WOW! My sister is reading my blog again. I'm rather shocked... :)