Monday, August 3, 2009

Where Has the Time Gone?

I got a phone call last week from my oldest niece Janet. She is in North Carolina at the Nascar Technical Institute, and she was calling with some BIG news: she had gotten engaged. WOA! Once I picked myself up off the floor and caught my breath again, I relayed my congratulations and excitement back to my nineteen-year-old niece. I am delighted for her, and I can't wait to meet Chris and get to know this newest (or soon-to-be) member of our family, and I certainly will be praying for the duo as they make plans for the future. I confess that I was more than a wee bit shocked, but life is full of surprises.

A year ago, I rode along with her family as we took Janet down to her new apartment in NC and got her settled in. Months before that, the family watched her graduate from high school and enjoyed her fun open house. A couple of years prior to that, we celebrated her sweet 16th birthday with a girls' only weekend. Before that, it seems like just yesterday that I lived with her family for a few months before I headed off to college myself. I was there as Janet's nanny while she underwent a medical procedure as a toddler. And further back still, I remember seeing her for the first time and snuggling with the cute little bundle and wondering what it be like to have her call me "Aunt Mel." [SIGH!]

And now, she went and got herself engaged. WOW! I'm old. Granted, I did become an aunt at just under 16 years of age, and so this was bound to happen sooner or later, but goodness, time has just flown by. And if I'm feeling old, I wonder how old my brothers feel? My brothers are 10, 12 and 14 years older than I am, and I'm sure they are thrilled that I am reminding them of that fact. Hee hee!

LORD, thank you for the blessing of having Janet Renee in my life. She is a darling young woman, and I am so proud of her. I pray that YOU would bless and keep her, that YOU would direct her and Chris as they plan their life together and draw them ever closer to YOU. AMEN!

P.S. LORD, please help the crazy aunt who is feeling a bit elderly at the moment. :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Try becoming an aunt at 6 years old and a great aunt at 30. Yikes!! It does make you look back on all the time that has passed. But I am now looking to the future...like in a couple weeks when Barbara, you, and I get together. I can't wait!