Saturday, January 9, 2010

Christmas 2009: That's A Wrap (Take 1)

Last night, I finally took out Christmas. Hmmmm -- let me rephrase that. Last night, I dismantled the Christmas tree and took down all the holiday décor in my place. It was time. It is nice to have my space back to normal again, but it kinda makes me sad to see another Christmas season come and go so quickly. So...I'm going to reminisce and chat about the highlights of this past season.

FAVORITE NEW CHRISTMAS TRADITION: Icing and decorating a ready-made gingerbread house with Grace and Jacob (niece and nephew) and their Grandma (my brother-in-law's Mom). The kids and Grandma did most of the hard work, while I supervised and took pictures. HA! I think it turned out beautifully.

Can you tell which side was decorated by Jacob and which by Grace? Incredibly gifted children, I think. OK, so I might be a tiny bit biased since I am their Aunt Mel, but still, it is amazing handiwork for young children (ages 4 and 7). And I think it is quite evident where they get some of that creativity. Their Grandma showed her creative flair with the icing. We couldn't have done it without her. Thanks, Myrna!

FAVORITE SILLY MEMORY: Thorn, my sister’s beloved lab mix, discovered his gift from Aunt Mel without any prompting or hints. When I arrived at my sister's house 2 days before Christmas, I unloaded my stash for the family under their tree, and then I got busy playing with the kids, helping out in the kitchen, etc. After the kids went to bed, we (the adults) discovered Thorn in the living room sniffing his gift bag. He had found it on his own while snooping under the tree. He sniffed it for a while and then sat down right in front of the bag with his paws stretched out towards the bag, and he whined and drooled the entire time.

I begged Jonathan to let him open his gift up early, but he was steadfastly firm and unyielding, and so Thorn had to wait until Christmas Eve for his gift. SIGH! Thorn, Aunt Mel would have caved, you know I would have, but your "Dad" said no. Sorry, buddy!

When we did rip open the package* the next night, Thorn gobbled up one of his new rawhide snacks, and he kept taunting me with it. He wanted me to chase him and try to take his snack away. It’s a game Thorn and I play pretty often. I think I enjoy it nearly as much as he does (not the snack but the game). AHEM! And he (scratch that – WE) sure loved playing with his new rope and ball toy, too. I love that dog. He’s definitely a big part of the family.

So once again, I’ve been contemplating the pros and cons of having a a dog of my own, but I just don’t have the space in my little apartment for a dog right now. And I prefer large dogs. No Paris Hilton purse dog for me, thanks! So for now, I'll continue to get by with loving on other people's dogs. HA!

*AHEM! I know that it may seem odd that I reused a Bath & Body Works bag as Thorn's gift bag, but I just didn't think he would mind, and I was basically doing my part for the environment by recycling. And I clearly wrote his name on the package with a Sharpie and signed it Love, Aunt Mel. So there was no confusion on Thorn's part as to who the gift was for. He really is a smart dog! Hee hee!

1 comment:

Kate S. said...

You should get a Sheltie!! They're small, Ladybird's about 12-13 pounds and small enough that I carry her all over the place. :) But, she looks like a dog-dog which is why Steve likes her even though she's small. She does shed b/c she's double coated, but not as bad as a lab. I've never had to lint-roll my couch only blank pants! Haha She is very active, though- they're a herding dog so she likes to run outside a lot.