Friday, February 13, 2009

Embracing V-Day

Normally when Valentine’s Day rolls around each year, I get a bit cynical. [I know, you all are shocked to hear it. AHEM!] Typically, I tend to scoff at the idea of love and romance for a few hours. I recluse away. My sarcastic genes come out to play. You know like last year, when I blogged about how I especially enjoy watching horror films on V-Day. I mean I do like scary movies, and yes, a lot of them involve a darling cute couple being chased around by a psychotic crazed man in a mask, who I am sure is only like he is because he’s got a broken heart, and so I don’t judge him. But, it’s not as if I like watching adorable couples get the axe all the time.

Those that know me well, know that I’m actually a romantic at heart. [sigh!] I love romantic poetry. The Brownings are 2 of my favorite poets, and I marvel at their story and their blossoming creativity as love crept into their lives. I love reading other people’s love letters. No, I’m not talking about stealing mail from people mailboxes. I don’t do that. I just like reading published love letters or those passed down through the generations. I bought a couple of love letter anthologies a few years ago, and I love reading through them--laughing at the raw honesty, tearing up at the depth of emotion and feeling, enjoying the vivid language of the heart. I'm crazy about romantic music. Just check my MP3 player, it is full of love songs: Michael Buble, Sarah Brightman, Chris Rice--just to name a couple. One look at my movie collection and most people can see a theme emerging. I'm in love with love.

But in a way I’m a romantic without any romance. And I guess those that can’t find a love of their own, write about it, sing about it, dream about it, and occasionally turn cynical and ooze sarcasm from every pore about this very thing. The latter is usually what happens to me about this time every year, but in short order I recover and return to my normal dream-like state but not without a few hours or more of bitter cynicism where I smash my rose-colored glasses and brood away.

However, I've determined already that this year will be different. OK, so I'm already a bit sentimental, and so it's been a bit of a rough start, but being sappy is not the same thing as being bitter, now is it! Truly, I'm going to try and embrace Valentine’s Day. For starter, I'm going to stop referring to Valentine's Day as Single Awareness Day (or S.A.D) this year. I'm going to put away my banners, my S.A.D. pins. I'm going to attempt to avoid hysterics or spiteful lectures to all who cross my path about the discrimination of singles on this most unholy day. Yes, it is is a day celebrating love, which many may feel I am lacking. But while I might not have a ring on my finger or George Clooney on my arm, I still have love. I have lots of it.

Without love, I wouldn’t be here. True LOVE bought and redeemed me on the cross. And love was definitely involved in my creation, and my parents love me still. I have 4 siblings that I love and mostly have their love in return. I say mostly because, come on, 3 of my siblings are my older brothers, and they don’t do the mushy stuff well, but I think they love me, and I know my younger sister loves me. [Sis, you do, right?] I have amazing co-workers that brought in Valentine's Day treats for everyone today including a special plate made just for me with a Weight Watchers muffin and a sugar free pudding cup. I have delightful girlfriends that always get together at my place on Valentine's Day for food and a movie marathon, and we're all getting together tomorrow like usual for a fun evening.

See, Valentine's Day isn't all that bad. I'm warming up to it already. OK, V-Day, come on over here and give me a squdge. Yep, this is me embracing the day. It'll all be good.

Wherever you are, whether you are alone or in a crowded room, whether you are with your other half or still in search of that connection--you are loved. There is one, THE ONE, that loves each of us with a fervent love beyond comprehension. HIS love continues to change the world, and it will change your world, too, if you let it. I can introduce you if you like...

No comments: