Friday, February 13, 2009

The Thinking Male: Fact or Fiction

I really liked this week’s single article on Christianity Today. I teared up as I was reading it. Give me a break. I’m sappy today. Plus it’s Friday the 13th, which makes things a bit weird anyway, only to be followed by tomorrow which is Valentine’s Day, normally referred to as Single Awareness Day (or S.A.D) by yours truly. I’m in a great mood. I really am, but for some reason, I’m a bit sentimental. And somehow reading this well-written short article, reminded me again about that I am not alone, which made me think perhaps a bit too much...
1. The title fooled me. I wasn’t sure what this one was going to be about, but it was a lot deeper than I had presumed.

2. I’m glad to hear that there are single men out there that think and dream about their future spouse. Some of the married women I have met have indicated that men don’t think at all, and so I’ve been told that I need to stop setting the bar so high. AHEM! Now, I had thought that those comments might have been a bit one-sided, but I kept hearing them. So you can imagine my delight to find out that there are men that exist and are quite capable of thinking.** And not only that, there are men who actually dream. This makes me happy. Doesn’t change the status quo, but it gives one reason to hope. [sigh!]

3. It is so easy to get consumed with play-by-play scenarios or imagining what it will be like to meet the right one, the things you will want to ask that person, the stories you'll need to tell them, the lifetime you're eager to share. I’ve been there before. OK, let’s face, I live THERE. So I think this CT author hit the nail right on the head with pondering the idea that perhaps we do set up our future spouse as an idol by placing thoughts of that special person above GOD. It does happen. I’ve questioned myself on this point more than once, and it is still something this perpetual dreamer struggles with from time to time. Quite honestly, I’m glad to know that others are working this area out in their lives as well.

4. I forget so often that I am loved, loved beyond measure. I'm not forsaken because I have an empty ring finger. I am loved by THE ONE. THE ONE who created me. THE ONE who took the trouble to work out the details of my coloring, eyes, hair, and frame. THE ONE who feeds me, clothes me, provides shelter for me, and meets my every need. THE ONE who brought my sister and brother-in-law together, my parents together, my grandparents together, my great-grandparents together. And if HE has another one out there designed for me in mind, HE will work it out and bring us together. If not, I am already part of the bride of CHRIST. I’m already chosen, hand-selected by the ULTIMATE GROOM in all HIS RADIANCE to join HIM in the most amazing wedding feast ever. Yes, I am loved by THE ONE, and HIS love will never fail me and never leaves me lonely. I am lonely only when I forget what certainty awaits me...
**And as for the the thinking male thing, you all know I'm kidding, right? I am blessed and privileged to know MANY men who think regularly, and many of them are more analytical than I am. So I know the thinking man exists.

No comments: