Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Who Am I?

I have a new obsession, and it’s a healthy one to boot. I’m just crazy about fruits and vegetables. I can’t get enough of them. I have grown particularly fond of green beans lately. The fresh or frozen variety are best. I use the microwave or stovetop to heat them up, remove the dish or pan from the heat while the beans are still crunchy, melt some no-fat butter substitute on top, sprinkle in a little salt, and I am good to go. I’m still in a deep and meaningful relationship with the Yukon Gold potato, too. Who can resist? [sigh!] And as for the other veggies like corn, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, snap peas, cucumbers, peppers, etc.--we’re bonding as well. It’s a beautiful thing--a girl’s love affair with produce.

When it comes to fruit, I don’t think there is a fruit I don’t enjoy these days. Grapes are still a strong favorite of mine, but the citrusy-goodness of the orange is making it’s way up the charts as well. I adore grape tomatoes for a snack just about every day. Tomatoes are part of the fruit family, right? And in a startling twist, I’m even starting to like cantaloupe and honeydew. I’ve never been a fan of these mild melon varieties, but I’m starting to appreciate them now, especially in combination with other fruits. Kinda shocking, isn’t it?

Today for the second time this week, I ordered the vegetable platter while eating out. Yep, you heard me right. I chose to order vegetables ONLY. WOW! OK, I know how this sounds. Who am I and what did I do with the breaded and deep-fried version of myself? I get it. It’s hard to swallow (no pun intended). This is a pretty big change. Truly, I know that this doesn’t sound like the Mel or Melanie you all know, but it really is. Honest. I’m just a girl continuing to transition into a healthier version of her self. See, it’s a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Yay! Someone to understand my viewpoint. Cucumbers and Ranch are amazing! Super healthy, and the Ranch has enough fat in it that you actually get full. And grapes are wonderful!! Ooh, and watermelon! I'll stop now. :)