Monday, March 30, 2009

How to Annoy Me...*

Call me on a sales call, a pledge drive for the local police widow's fund, or to survey me on my recent TV viewing habits. You're calling asking for my money, my pledge or my input. And then when I politely tell you no thank you or that I'm not able to contribute at this time, proceed to ask if...
1. You can talk to my Mom or an adult in the house, or
2. You can talk to my husband or the head of the household.
I'm not normally impolite on the phone. In fact, I try to use phone etiquette and be as pleasant as possible even when you call during dinner, the latest episode of Lost (after all the DVR is recording it anyway), or a new movie I was just dying to see (because my Pause button on the DVD player does work). I'll do my best to give you my full attention. BUT when you suddenly assume that I am not capable of making the decision or you don't like my answer and want a second opinion from AN ADULT, this is a sure-fire way to get me to either
a) bite your head off,
b) hang up on you, or
c) get so irked that I'll ask to be removed from future call lists.
GASP! I know...it's shocking, isn't it? Such a strong reaction! HA! OK, I don't get angry about much, but when it comes to not being taken seriously because of my voice or the way I look, I just turn from Gidget into something quite horrid. Come on, it's bad enough that I look like I'm 14 or maybe I'm up to 18 now. That would be nice. Yes, I'm short, and I have a round baby face, but I am a responsible human being, and I dress like other adults for the most part. So why am I mistaken for a teen?

OK, so back to the phone thing. I know my voice sounds young. I have heard myself before. I don't like the fact that I sound like a kid, but I can't do much to fix that either. This is the voice GOD gave me. No, I'm not blaming HIM. HE designed me this way for a reason, and I'm just going along with HIS plan.

I've tried to adjust the pitch, tone or accent to sound more grown up at times, but I can't do it all the time and keep a straight face. It's unnatural. Besides, I'm not British, and it doesn't take a Brit to notice that my accent is fake. HA! Now, I suppose I could talk all breathless and go all Marilyn Monroe on the phone, but going all breathy on the phone -- well, it's just plain inappropriate and not me at all. Hee hee!

So, I don't know what the answer is or if there really is a solution out there. I just know that it annoys me that people don't take me seriously on the phone even when I answer with strength, confidence and intelligence. And so today, I'm blogging to vent about this annoyance and clear the air. [sigh!} Now that was therapeutic. I feel better already.

*I'm borrowing from my friend Lauren's blog with this posting by discussing something that annoys me, which she often does. Thank you, Lauren, for indirectly inspiring this posting!*

No comments: