Monday, October 19, 2009

I Am Infected

Yes, it is true. I am infected with the cleaning and organizing bug again. I seemed to recover and move past my chronic need for tidy for a few months. I thought I was cured. The hustle and bustle of preparing for my British travels in May along with LOTS of overtime this spring and early summer seemed to bring me past the infectious hurdle. I started secretly letting things pile up – neatly of course in an orderly fashion far from the eyes of the madding crowd, so to speak. No one knew. No one needed to know, as I closeted the burgeoning chaos.

But I knew. The creeping dust bunnies mocked me from behind my bed, my books begged to be reshelved, my stuffed dresser drawers groaned each time I opened them, and my closets moaned in agony as I shoved more and more inside them. I could no longer ignore the encroaching mayhem. It was time to sort, purge and reorganize, and so it began.

The plan was to clean my bedroom closet first. I started removing a couple of boxes from my closet last week, but once I started going through those boxes, that reminded me that I was wanting to redo the way I organized my scrapbook and greeting card supplies. So I started tackling that second project, too. I made no less than 3 trips to Walmart in as many days before I had my paper and cardstock organized just the way I wanted it. Then when I went to restack the freshly organized bins, I noticed the thick dust behind my bedroom furniture, and that just wouldn’t do. Thus on Friday and Saturday, I removed the furniture and began cleaning the walls, the crevices between the walls and the carpet and vacuuming thoroughly (sneezing quite a bit along the way, too).

On Sunday, I returned back to the closet project doing more of the same, emptying the closet completely, wiping everything down, vacuuming, etc. I worked until nearly midnight and then exhausted climbed into bed leaving my living room covered with boxes and storage bins.

Tonight after work, the furious cleaning, purging and organizing will continue. Hopefully, I will be able to complete the closet project before another “need” pops up on my radar and beckons me to it, distracting me from my current purpose. I’m already contemplating cleaning the bathroom walls, reorganizing the kitchen, and goodness knows, I really need to sort through my books again. It might just be time to purchase another book shelf, too. Barnes & Noble, Borders, Books-A-Million and Half Price Books have been frequently visited by yours truly as of late, and I want to make sure my newest residents feel welcomed in their current home...

SIGH! Yes, I am really in the thick of it now. I’m deeply infected and overtaken with the bug once again. I need help. Hee hee!

No comments: