Monday, November 9, 2009

SonRise Retreat Part I

I returned back home yesterday afternoon from my first SonRise Retreat with LDM (Lutheran Disability Ministries). I had a blast! I came home more than a wee bit exhausted but excited to see what GOD will do next.

Friday night was spent mingling with the campers and getting to know the other companions. With LDM, each camper is assigned to a “companion” in a one-to-one ratio, and so there is optimal chance to really get to know each other. There was a lot of karaoke, coloring, beading and games as well as lots of hugs and conversation that first night.

On Saturday we had a couple of Bible studies, nature walks, games, puzzles, some exciting basketball games, BINGO, lots of singing, and bedtime movies. It was a fun-filled day, and I enjoyed watching my camper Kathy emerge from her shell.

On Sunday morning, we had a final Bible study followed by a worship service before we all said our goodbyes and headed home. It was a whirlwind of activities, but I really enjoyed it all.

I think the prayers were what impacted me the most. The campers love to pray before meals and during our Bible study time, and I loved hearing what GOD has placed on their hearts. The next retreat is in December, and I’m already looking forward to it.

PRAISES:
1. I didn’t get lost and didn’t even miss a turn on my first-time drive to and from Trafalgar, Indiana. WOOHOO!!

2. My camper Kathy was just awesome. I loved her sense of humor, her basketball skills which completely put me to shame, and her stories about her family and friends. I’m so thankful for Kathy. I learned a lot from her.

3. The food was rather delicious, and Diet Girl didn’t get too far off track. There were usually some healthy options available for every meal.

4. I mingled with some awesome campers and came away refreshed. I love their honesty, their patience and their ability to love.

5. I met some rather amazing fellow companions, most of whom have been involved with the ministry for a while. They all had such love and compassion to share, and I discovered that I can still learn from those younger than myself.

No comments: