Friday, November 20, 2009

WANTED: More Male Friends

My friend Becky and I have talked twice recently about how we miss having more male friends. We both really do.

Now I have many incredible friendships with the women in my life. I have an amazing Mom that I cherish. I have a dear sister, who is my confidante and best friend. I have encouraging coworkers and awesome local girlfriends (like Becky). In addition, I have quite a few life-long girlfriends scattered around the country that I keep in touch with from my youth, college and post-college days. Truly, I’m blessed to have such kindred spirits to work, shop, walk, chat, share and just bond with.

But there is still something missing. I miss having more interaction with the opposite sex, and I’m not just talking romance here. I miss having more male friends period. I still have a few. I’ve not boycotted my male friends by any means, but something has changed. I’ve lost touch with the majority of my male friends. I still have a couple of guys that I interact with more frequently than the others, but the rest are in different places with their lives. They started dating, got married, had children, moved out of town, or just disappeared. We might keep up with each other on Facebook, My Space or via email, but the deeper interaction is gone, and I miss that.
1. Men see things differently. I’m glad they do. Fact is that apparently my male friends have rubbed off on me a bit. I’ve been accused more than once of always taking the guy’s side or seeing the male point of view too much. Ironic, isn’t it!

2. Men can offer great advice. I like their practical take on things. They are able to leave emotion out and just get to the root of the matter. It’s great. They just need the facts. It is refreshing to have a conversation about what actually happened rather than debating over whether someone did or did not make a funny look or scrutinizing the way that someone said something. Why do we women have to over-analyze everything? I’m guilty. Lock me up.

3. Men can make us laugh at ourselves. Usually I have ample room for laughter in my life, but sometimes I take myself far too seriously. I’m thankful for my B-I-L (brother-in-law) and other male friends, who always seem able to distract me and get me to laugh at my own silliness.

There are oodles of other reasons I could list out here. I'm just scratching the surface here. I am thankful for the friendships I have. I am truly grateful. But somehow, I am also open to exploring new avenues and making my friendship circle a bit deeper in the coming months. How am I going to make this happen? I don’t know yet, but I’m certainly open to suggestions. However, I’m thinking a personal ad is NOT the way to go. HA!

No comments: