Monday, November 9, 2009

SonRise Retreat Part II

It was great to meet new campers and mingle with my fellow companions, but one thing I noted rather early on is that I’m OLD. GASP! I know. I need to face up to it. It’s been 13 years since my last Camp Spearhead adventures, and I’m not as young as I think I am especially considering that most of the other volunteers were in high school or college. YIKES!

It was a bit disconcerting at first. I didn’t know anyone, and it was hard to just jump into this completely new environment, but I did it once and told myself I could do it again, and I survived just fine. But I confess that I sure missed my Spearhead alum like Jamie, Jeanette, Bobbie Jo, Matt O., Snoozer, Moldy, Ben, BJ, Frankie, Nancy, etc. I could almost hear Jeanette’s laugh at my latest drama and Bobbie Jo’s antics from the kitchen. I could almost picture Jamie shaking his head in disbelief and saying, “What are we gonna do with you, Mel?” They were such a big part of my Spearhead life, and I wanted them there with me to share in the experience. But in a way, they will always be a part of me...

Ironically, there were some similarities between some of the campers from my past and the new faces I met this weekend. I discovered new versions of Kerry Kelly and Henry Howard, and I was tickled pink to meet another Eric Grissom minus his sidekick, Michael B. I chuckled more than once to myself at my “familiar” encounters. Now, I don’t think I’ll ever meet another Michael Brooks or Myra Chandler, and I think the world can only contain one Bobbie Jo at a time. [Love ya, BBJ!] Those dear ones are not to be replaced! Instead, I discovered new friends and another place for GOD to teach and mold me.

It wasn’t Spearhead. It was pretty different actually, but it was delightful in its own way as well. Over all, it was awesome to be active again, building relationships with those who have special needs, sharing GOD’s love with them, and seeing HIS love pour out of them at every turn. I have so much more to learn...

No comments: